• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chefs & cinema

ballast_regime

this past weekend proved interesting for me because i plopped down in a movie theater seat long enough to be subject to a mental reprogramming a la malcolm mcdowell's alex delarge (a clockwork orange) because of austin powers in goldmember (sort of like a lobotomy without any physical incisions made). the most notable part of the film came when dr roboto--the evil japanese tycoon supplying austin's foes, goldmember and dr evil, with a tractor beam--came onscreen for the first time and i screamed out, "holy @%$ing *$%@#, that's nobu matsuhisa!" the entire theater sharply turned my way and stared for a few seconds. such outbreaks are not uncommon for me. e.g., during chris nahon's kiss of the dragon, i emitted a similar whelp (with full-on profanity) when jean-georges vongerichten appeared for a brief 5 seconds as a bartender.

my question is, what's the dilly? are there any other movies people know of with chef cameos?

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

yes, degustation, that's a good one that i've forgotten about. unfortunately, despite having seen the movie, i don't really remember him being in it, even though i've had a billion quadrillion friends tell me about his cameo.

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

I'm having trouble remembering the name of the Woody Allen film a few years back... I believe a scene was shot at Mercer Kitchen and featured a glimpse of Jean-Georges Vongerichten.

Tadpole, currently showing here, has scenes in both Payard and Café Boulud, but no cameos...

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com