• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SFA Events - Camp Nashville

LPM

I noticed that the SFA is having an event called "Camp Nashville" in conjunction with the local Tomato Art Festival in August. I live within tomato-tossing distance of the Festival's epicenter, and the Camp Nashville event sounds like plenty of fun. (The Festival itself is a good time.) It includes a cocktail party on Friday and BBQ, beer, Catfish BLTs, and dinner at a Meat-and-Three on Saturday, and I think a couple of other things (optional trip to Jack Daniels for an additional $50). The price, however, ain't right. $175 per person. Pretty hefty for a couple.

Anyone ever attend one of these SFA-sponsored events? If so, did you feel it was money well spent? I know the restaurants they are mentioning (Arnold's, Prince's) and you could eat at both, plus get some Q and a case of Yazoo for less than $50, tipping generously. Does the SFA bring enough to the table, as it were, in scholarship, joie de vivre, whatever, to justify the difference?

Not trying to sound cheap,

LPM

LPM - Nashville-Based Food Enthusiast

Personal Blog: Boston Dreams and Michelin Stars

lpm@wardandsmith.com

I noticed that the SFA is having an event called "Camp Nashville" in conjunction with the local Tomato Art Festival in August.  I live within tomato-tossing distance of the Festival's epicenter, and the Camp Nashville event sounds like plenty of fun.  (The Festival itself is a good time.) It includes a cocktail party on Friday and BBQ, beer, Catfish BLTs, and dinner at a Meat-and-Three on Saturday, and I think a couple of other things (optional trip to Jack Daniels for an additional $50).  The price, however, ain't right.  $175 per person.  Pretty hefty for a couple.

Anyone ever attend one of these SFA-sponsored events?  If so, did you feel it was money well spent? I know the restaurants they are mentioning (Arnold's, Prince's) and you could eat at both, plus get some Q and a case of Yazoo for less than $50, tipping generously.  Does the SFA bring enough to the table, as it were, in scholarship, joie de vivre, whatever, to justify the difference?

Not trying to sound cheap,

LPM

There is not a better organization on the planet of this type. You will not ever regret it. I would be attending in Nashville were I not otherwise occupied, but I just got finished attending the trip to Appalachicola and will, once again, and hopefully for many more years, be in Oxford in the Fall for the annual symposium and for the divertissement before that weekend.

You won't meet nicer people, or have a chance to meet more people with the same interests, as you will on one of these little outings. I am, by definition, a person who doesn't do well in groups, but with this group, I don't think that I could do better.

A Day Camp is a great way to learn a bit more about the SFA (that's what they are for) and to have some fun and maybe, inspite of your best efforts, learn something. Then, probably, you will want to join and participate more often and in a more active way. That's what it's all about.

Just sign up and go. You'll never know if you don't try.

Best,

B

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

A Day Camp is a great way to learn a bit more about the SFA (that's what they are for) and to have some fun and maybe, inspite of your best efforts, learn something. Then, probably, you will want to join and participate more often and in a more active way. That's what it's all about.

i think i just learned that the sfa is charging $350-450 for at most $100 worth of food and drink. that seems a tad much. participating more often would probably require being made of money, which unfortunately, i am not. i can't even afford a caps lock key!

so what do you get for the extra money? would they do a lecture on the history of hot chicken in nashville? are you supposed to get face time with the owners of the establishments you go to? what about some face time with the master distiller or taster at the jd distillery?

i'm not trying to flame you, so don't take it that way. i'm just not seeing the need to drop up to $450 to be with nice people as of yet.

A good place to start is the Southern Foodways Alliance Website. Money above and beyond the cost of running the event helps fund the mission of the Southern Foodways Alliance. That's a pretty good reason in itself.

Secondly, from the event announcement:

We'll lard the schedule with group events and choose-your-own path fun, all leading up to a grand finale dinner at Arnold's, arguably Nashville's best meat-n-three

The group events and self-guided tours will certainly relate to food culture and many times are specially arranged for the SFA and would otherwise never be available.

And I submit, counselor, that from the fact that most events sell out well before the event date, it can be concluded that the SFA has a history of providing good, tasty and fun value for the buck.

Besides that, what Mayhaw Man said.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

You know, I'm glad that you asked all of those questions because, if nothing else, sometimes answering questions allows one to consider just what is important about a subject. To me, what's important about the SFA is that it DOES stuff. This is no namby-pamby thinktank of an organization. It might be made up of a few eggheads, a few bacon freaks, some BBQ geeks, more than one or two who have just figured out that, if you hang around enough , you'll get some damned fine eats on a regular basis, but mainly, it's folks who, for whatever reason, really, really want to learn more about the food and culture of the Southern United States-all of the cultures that we can cram in, not just along a thin spectrum- and try to do what they can to promote and/or preserve it.

Hell, look back at some of the stuff in just the recent past:

We've-

Helped a 90 year old woman rebuild her home and restaurant in hurricane ravaged New Orleans and most of the people doing it didn't even know her before they showed up to help We raised a bunch of money and raised even more importantly, the level of conciousness about the situation down here-and we did it in a way that was more than just reporting. It might be a small thing for a small woman with a small restaurant-but it's a big deal to her and for most of the people working on this, that's plenty enough.

Began a collection of oral histories concerning, in very broad ways, the foodways of the Southern United States

Had one hell of a good time on a field trip to Appalachicola (just one of a series of interesting field trips sponsored by the SFA)

Had our first day camp

Published a series of really good books, loaded with good stuff from writers that you might know and some that you will want to know, collectively titled, "Cornbread Nation"

We've had a series of symposiums every October for the last few years covering some pretty lightweight subjects that got a bit heavier as they were considered and some really heavy subjects that got a bit easier to handle as we discussed them together. We've covered subjects as complex as race relations and how food played a part in them to something as light and sweet as Sugar and the South.

We've met chefs of all descriptions-big deal James Beard cats like John Besh, John Fleer, John Currence (John maybe should be a theme at some future event), Ann Cashion, Bill Smith, Ken Smith, and masters of more common, but no less important tables from all over the place. Just last weekend I had the opportunity to hang around with and learn from (important lessons in life-not only BBQ) Ricky Parker-master whole hog pit man at B E Scott's BBQ in Jackson, TN. Writers of all sorts have attended and spoken on an incredibly wide variety of subjects over the years and interestingly, they almost always end up showing up on their own AS PAYING MEMBERS after they attend an event, because they have just as much to learn as everyone else and also, well, it's fun. Hell, where else in the world could you have 4 of the best fried chicken chefs in the world cooking in one tent, basically in a deserted lot in downtown Oxford, MS and, to top it off, have the folks from Jack Daniels just giving away the farm just because-We've had deviled eggs by the hundreds, fish by the pond full at Taylor Grocery, the best caramel cake in the history of the world, pimento cheese by the gallon, eaten more barrels of pork than even Congress can dish out, scarfed down an ocean of sweet tea and not so sweet beer, and even had a nip or two of the corn out of a jar if you happened to be standing in the right place on the right night. You get your money's worth.

The SFA, the organization, which is, in fact, a sum of the people who belong to it, represents-to me-just exactly what is right with the South and gives me, and I think many others, a serious sense of hope that the best parts of our past can be preserved and the parts that some of us don't like, understand, or want to deal with can all become part of the strength of not only the organization, but of the Southern Foodways diaspora as a whole. It's ultimately an organization that is about food, but, when you think about it, food is often a catalyst or a metaphor for much more important matters to chew on.

I'm not rich. In fact, right now, I am probably just about as broke as I have ever been or ever want to be in my whole life. But, I promise, I will come up with what it takes to be a part of this deal, and while I can't convince you beyond this slightly over dramatic description, I can tell you that I've not seen anyone yet walk away complaining about not getting their money's worth out of the deal.

In fact, come to think of it, last year, just after The Thing, we members from New Orleans recieved an email from the home office in Oxford informing us that an ANONYMOUS member and the nice folks from White Lily Flour were covering our fees to the conference. There were more than a few of us and trust me when I say that the SFA is not exactly an overfinanced operation. It meant alot and said even more. It's surely and clearly not about the money, if it was, you would be right and SFA wouldn't exist. It's about much more than that. These are good folks. I'm proud to know them all.

We never did find out who that anonymous member was, but, in true Southern form, we thanked the hell out of everybody we talked to. We're just that way.

thanks for the reply...

i enjoy reading some of the stories on the sfa. i've read the barbecue oral history project on more than a few occasions. in fact, next time i head towards memphis, i will be stopping by a few of those places. i'm not doubting that it would be enjoyable... it just seemed like a lot of money for two people. granted, it's not as ridiculous as the $400 PER PERSON to attend paula dean's august event at opryland (and that doesn't even include a room!). maybe when things turn around i'll be able to attend something or join.

hijack - did you ever do a write up on your worlds of flavor trip?

Mayhaw Man:

Thank you for the rousing pitch on behalf of the SFA. I have been tangentially aware of the good work they do and intrigued by the organization. Since this event will be right in my back yard, I don't think I'll get an easier opportunity to see them in action, boots on the ground and elbows on the table. I promise a full report.

Are you from Louisiana?

LPM

lpm@wardandsmith.com

Hey y'all, John T Edge here. I noticed the topic and figured it might make sense for me to chime in. I know some of the correspondents. Others should know I'm the director of the SFA.

Defenders of our pricing scheme have made emotional and intellectual arguments. Good ones. So I'll break down the dollars. Our true cost for the event is about $125 dollars per person. About 100 people will attend.

We'll spend dollars on making a short film about E.W. Mayo of Mayo's Mahalia Jackson Fried chicken, maker of the best fried sweet potato pies you ever tasted. And then we'll show the film at the event. And give copies to Mayo and his family.

We'll also spend dollars on a meat-n-three panel, chaired by John Egerton and featuring the Swett family and Hap Townes, two of the old line meat-n-three dynasties in Nashville.

We're bringing Sean Brock (late of Capitol Grill in Nashville, now of McCrady's in Charleston) back to Nashville to do catfish BLT's.

And we'll pay these folks for their time and energy and intellect.

There are a lot of costs that aren't evident: renting tents for the parking lot of Arnold's, renting fryers for the tomato festival, etc. But I'm boring you by now. Hell, I'm boring myself.

Here's the bottom line:

If -- and this never happens -- our true costs end up being in line with our budget, we'll plow the $50 per person back into our oral history effort, specifically documenting the lives of the meat-n-three cooks of Nashville.

Thanks and should you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask: johnt@olemiss.edu.

Let me add a follow-up, now that I'm a bit more awake. The SFA is one of those unusual organizations where people get involved not to improve their social standing in the community or, in the case of many gastronomic organizations, to be seen with the culinary bigwig du jour. This is an organization with a heart and soul. Starting from the top, working you way through their board of directors, their staff, and all the way down to us mere members, the SFA cares about preserving the great food heritage of the American South. This organization is funded by sweat, love, compassion, and of course, a few dollars here and there.

So, when you think about whether or not a particular event is "worth it," don't think about whether you could get a comparable meal for less money. You probably can. Instead, think about whether you could get such a meal surrounded by such wonderful, dedicated people that make up the SFA. People who will pay their own way to fly to New Orleans to work their asses off for a weekend or two to bring back a culinary landmark. People who will give an award to an African-American catfish farmer who had to fight the white establishment to get his business off the ground. People who take the time to record oral histories of barbecue pitmasters in Tennessee, North Carolina and elsewhere.

You'll soon realize what a bargain you're getting for that experience. And you'll want to come back for more.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Are you from Louisiana?

LPM

Does a bear....

I was born here, have lived elsewhere, but have been back for many years.

I wish that I could be in Nashville, but I'm working on a book that is, after the excitement has worn off, not unlike a giant anvil around my neck-or a painfully tight hair suit. So, I will be hanging around here for the rest of the month as my travel schedule in July, August, and Sept. is a bit heavy.

Have fun. Introduce yourself. Wear your name tag.

Are you from Louisiana?

LPM

Does a bear....

I was born here, have lived elsewhere, but have been back for many years.

I wish that I could be in Nashville, but I'm working on a book that is, after the excitement has worn off, not unlike a giant anvil around my neck-or a painfully tight hair suit. So, I will be hanging around here for the rest of the month as my travel schedule in July, August, and Sept. is a bit heavy.

Have fun. Introduce yourself. Wear your name tag.

I grew up in Terrebonne Parish myself, then lived in NOLA for many years before a beautiful woman took me to Eastern NC and now Nashville. Good luck with the book.

LPM

lpm@wardandsmith.com

Let me add a follow-up, now that I'm a bit more awake.  The SFA is one of those unusual organizations where people get involved not to improve their social standing in the community or, in the case of many gastronomic organizations, to be seen with the culinary bigwig du jour.  This is an organization with a heart and soul.  Starting from the top, working you way through their board of directors, their staff, and all the way down to us mere members, the SFA cares about preserving the great food heritage of the American South.  This organization is funded by sweat, love, compassion, and of course, a few dollars here and there.

So, when you think about whether or not a particular event is "worth it," don't think about whether you could get a comparable meal for less money.  You probably can.  Instead, think about whether you could get such a meal surrounded by such wonderful, dedicated people that make up the SFA.  People who will pay their own way to fly to New Orleans to work their asses off for a weekend or two to bring back a culinary landmark.  People who will give an award to an African-American catfish farmer who had to fight the white establishment to get his business off the ground.  People who take the time to record oral histories of barbecue pitmasters in Tennessee, North Carolina and elsewhere. 

You'll soon realize what a bargain you're getting for that experience.  And you'll want to come back for more.

I'm sold. Thanks for the feedback.

Dean, we were practically neighbors from 1999-2005. I was in Greenville working for Ward and Smith, PA. Had some great meals at Bum's and B's.

lpm@wardandsmith.com

I'm sold. 

When everyone lines up for the purple kool-aid, just get in line. It's delicious.

• 2 weeks later...

i wish like hell i could make it but i am scheduled to have a my grand opening a new barbecue joint (my first) in a little town south of nashville (historic Nolensville) that weekend. i would like very much, hell i would love to meet any and all of you who plan on coming and would like to offer you a free meal on me to stop by my place (if it opens on schedule) just to get to know you. i have in just the past 6 months or so learned about the SFA and all they do. i am very, very embarrassed to say that i have not yet joined the SFA but, as the good Lord is my witness, will join within the next couple/few weeks. i have been waiting because i would like to have a corporate membership and plan on tying that in with my financing of my joint. i learned how to cook barbecue at 1 of the locations listed in the BBQ oral history project and two more that are no longer in business (henderson, tn bbq joints) almost 16 years ago in college at freed-hardeman university in henderson. they kicked me out, TWICE, for drinking beer (church of christ school). so i transferred to another C of C school in nashville, lipscomb university (they didnt moniter you as much there). i live in outside of Nashville but my family is from Corinth, MS and i still can't understand as to why slug-burgers are not a world wide phenomena. i love the south, i love the food of the south and plan on not only joining this organization but actively supporting it with my time and money. this organization has to be supported so our culture and the foods that were born from it dont fade off into the sunset. i believe that the very core of all cultures is food and our southern food culture has to be supported to be passed along.

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

i wish like hell i could make it but i am scheduled to have a my grand opening a new barbecue joint (my first) in a little town south of nashville (historic Nolensville) that weekend.  i would like very much, hell i would love to meet any and all of you who plan on coming and would like to offer you a free meal on me to stop by my place (if it opens on schedule) just to get to know you.  i have in just the past 6 months or so learned about the SFA and all they do.  i am very, very embarrassed to say that i have not yet joined the SFA but, as the good Lord is my witness, will join within the next couple/few weeks.  i have been waiting because i would like to have a corporate membership and plan on tying that in with my financing of my joint.  i learned how to cook barbecue at 1 of the locations listed in the BBQ oral history project and two more that are no longer in business (henderson, tn bbq joints) almost 16 years ago in college at freed-hardeman university in henderson.  they kicked me out, TWICE, for drinking beer (church of christ school).  so i transferred to another C of C school in nashville, lipscomb university (they didnt moniter you as much there).  i live in outside of Nashville but my family is from Corinth, MS and i still can't understand as to why slug-burgers are not a world wide phenomena.  i love the south, i love the food of the south and plan on not only joining this organization but actively supporting it with my time and money.  this organization has to be supported so our culture and the foods that were born from it dont fade off into the sunset.  i believe that the very core of all cultures is food and our southern food culture has to be supported to be passed along.

BigHoss:

I'm going to do the SFA event, but I want to check out your new Q shop as soon thereafter as possible and give it a write-up on my blog. Keep me updated on the details.

LPM

lpm@wardandsmith.com

i still can't understand as to why slug-burgers are not a world wide phenomena.

Well, BigHoss, there's that whole taste and texture thing. Once you get past that, slugburgers will be on their way to dominating the world's fast food markets. :wink::laugh:

Actually, I like them, but they are, absolutely, an acquired taste. Or I think so anyway.

i hear you mayhaw....i hear you! actually you really need to have them in corinth. i swear to you that even "folks from up north" would like them first bite (my wife did!). they fry them light and they use soy meal with the beef rather than oat meal (which is the way the majority of the rest of the slugburger nation (oxymoron i know) eats them. they need to be served with chopped white onions, yellow mustard and pickles.....nothing else! the slug burger festival is in about a month or so in downtown corinth........and i will be there!

Newgene Ledbetter would rather climb a tree to tell you a lie than stand on the ground and tell you the truth!

Another rationale for the name.

From the Gourmands Guide to Dining In and Around Corinth by Milton Sandy Jr.

Finally, slug burgers should be served hot and eaten immediately. If they are not hot, and particularly in the days when they were fried in lard, a cold slug burger could bear some visual resemblance to garden pest and hence the name

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Seriously Holly, where did you come across that? I would love to see that book. What's the publication date on the thing.

Off to my friend Google, and, failing that, my pals Lexis and Nexis. Those two guys know everything.

Seriously Holly, where did you come across that? I would love to see that book. What's the publication date on the thing.

Off to my friend Google, and, failing that, my pals Lexis and Nexis. Those two guys know everything.

Here's my source for info about the book. I'm guessing someone by the name of John T. has problably shared a bottle of bourbon with the guy and can point you towards him and/or the book.

Edited to add: The nice lady from the Corinth Chamber of Commerce has never heard of the book and thinks it may be a joke title. However I have left a message on Mr. Sandy's answering machine so hope to have an answer soon.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

good luck with the restaurant!

where is it located? i saw that mothership bbq opened up in berry hill part recently. i'm kinda surprised he closes at 2 on saturday, but whatever.

send out the directions and i'll try and swing by this weekend.

its going to be in historic nolensville and i should be open by august 11 or 12th. come by and a "Q" sandwich is on me.