• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine advice ...

SaxChik

i need some advice from you wine afficienados out there.

i'm getting married in august at the Duling-Kurtz House in exton (yes, he FINALLY asked! yay!). since they're not a BYO and i'm by no means a wine expert, i need some help choosing one red and one white to serve at dinner.

i'd prefer they be $40 or under. i like my reds big and bold and my whites fruity. not a big fan of merlots or chardonnays, but if they're exceptional, i'll bend.

here's the link. any help is greatly appreciated!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

While I'm not the guy to offer wine advice, SaxChik, I wanna send my good wishes on you engagement.

As for the Duling-Kurtz House, is it a great setting. I was very impressed by the meal I had there a couple of years ago. I'm sure you'll have a great feast.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

i'm getting married in august at the Duling-Kurtz House in exton (yes, he FINALLY asked!  yay!).  since they're not a BYO and i'm by no means a wine expert, i need some help choosing one red and one white to serve at dinner.

i'd prefer they be $40 or under.  i like my reds big and bold and my whites fruity.  not a big fan of merlots or chardonnays, but if they're exceptional, i'll bend.

here's the link.  any help is greatly appreciated!

Saxchik, let me also offer congrats to you. This is an interesting winelist with some pretty hefty mark-ups. I think you guys can't go wrong with Cotes du Rhone- Guigal FR `01 Chateau D' Ampuis. Guigal is a respected producer of Rhone wines and I think all will enjoy this selection. It pairs nicely with most food as well. It's not terribly big but at 40 bucks...It is however $2.00 over your $40 limit :wink:

As to whites in your price point, I would suggest 8042 Vouvray-Michel Picard FR `02 $ 30.00. Vouvray is a good middle of the road choice for most white wine drinkers. Perhaps others here can weigh in on their choices but that's my thinking.

Best of luck!

Best Wishes, SaxChik!

I'd recommend the Sauvignon Blanc - Coopers Creek - Marlboro NZ `03 $ 30.00. I know it was rated 89 by the Wine Spectator - "Ripe, generous flavors offer an explosion of passion fruit and hints of other tropical fruits on a tart, racy, juicy frame." I think this would pair well with salads and seafood.

As to a red, I'd agree w/ Jeff L's thought on the Guigal CdR.

Again, Congrats!

Wine - Light held together by moisture. Galileo Galilei

Congrats!

I think the Guigal should be on your list. I would also consider for reds - not much else given your price point. However, you should try a bottle yourself first to make sure you like it. Another possibility a bit above your range is the Montepulciano d"Abruzzo. These are generally very food friendly wines with a bit of fruit and body to them. Once agai, try before you buy any quantity especially at those prices.

As for the whites the Gruner Veltliner and the Trimbach Pinot blanc are worthy of consideration. I suggest again buying some retail and trying them or else have the inn sample you with several choices.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

i'm getting married in august at the Duling-Kurtz House in exton (yes, he FINALLY asked!  yay!).  since they're not a BYO and i'm by no means a wine expert, i need some help choosing one red and one white to serve at dinner.

i'd prefer they be $40 or under.  i like my reds big and bold and my whites fruity.  not a big fan of merlots or chardonnays, but if they're exceptional, i'll bend.

here's the link.  any help is greatly appreciated!

Congatulations!

Excellent advise so far. After narrowing the wines down to 2-3 choices of each, red and white, make sure you, your fiance' and a few others taste them. Buy them at the State Store and have a wine tasting/dinner party. There's nothing worse than getting stuck with a wine that someone recommended but you hate. (I just read docsconz' reply, but the advise bears repeating :biggrin: )

You may also try and negotiate with the restaurant about the price of the wine. Get some feedback on this forum about how many bottles you'll need (the restaurant may over-estimate) but you will be purchasing quite a few bottles. Their markup appears to be 2.5x cost, so you may agree to a discount, perhaps 15%.

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)