• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kbjesq

kbjesq

clarification and fix typo

On 12/22/2015 at 1:52 PM, HungryChris said:

I too am a fan of the green tomato pickle. This picture is from pickling day in late October, but in the last month they greatly improved in flavor and have been outstanding. I did not have enough from my garden and had to buy these from a local farmer.

HC

Green Tomato Pics.jpg

Green Tomato Pics.jpg

Huge fan of green tomatoes here. I will eat them any way I can get them. Some years ago we ended up with a bumper crop of green tomatoes and in addition to pickles, I made a green tomato chutney adapting a recipe from the Martha Stewart website for red tomato chutney. It was fantastic and we ended up with 12 pints which didn't last very long, even though we have a small family. I currently do not have access to any green tomatoes in bulk, but I do have access to an abundance of tomatillos. I wonder if I could substitute tomatillos for green tomatoes and make pickles and/or chutney?

I also have a bumper crop of Meyer lemons, looking to make some type of marmalade which is more popular in my household then candied rind. I already have a freezer full of Meyer lemon juice and zest.

kbjesq

kbjesq

clarification

I too am a fan of the green tomato pickle. This picture is from pickling day in late October, but in the last month they greatly improved in flavor and have been outstanding. I did not have enough from my garden and had to buy these from a local farmer.

HC

Green Tomato Pics.jpg

Green Tomato Pics.jpg

Huge fan of green tomatoes here. I will eat them any way I can get them. Some years ago we ended up with a bumper crop of green tomatoes and in addition to pickles, I made a green tomato chutney adapting a recipe from the Martha Stewart website for red tomato chutney. It was fantastic and we ended up with 12 points which didn't last very long, even though we have a small family. I currently do not have access to any green tomatoes in bulk, but I do have access to an abundance of tomatillos. I wonder if I could substitute tomatillos for green tomatoes and make pickles and/or chutney?

I also have a bumper crop of Meyer lemons, looking to make some type of marmalade which is more popular in my household then candied rind. I already have a freezer full of Meyer lemon juice and zest.

kbjesq

kbjesq

HC

Green Tomato Pics.jpg

Green Tomato Pics.jpg

Huge fan of green tomatoes here. I will eat them any way I can get them. Some years ago we ended up with a bumper crop of green tomatoes and in addition to pickles, I made a green tomato chutney adapting a recipe from the Martha Stewart website for red tomato chutney. It was fantastic and we ended up with 12 points which didn't last very long, even though we have a small family. I currently do not have access to any green tomatoes in bulk, but I do have access to an abundance of tomatillos. I wonder if I could substitute tomatillos for green tomatoes and make pickles and/or chutney?