• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

To fix duplicate link

16 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I've posed this Q several times in several places - been looking for knowledge/insight into my 30 year lemon quest, which goes as follows:

Greece - Athens - early 1970's

big party (and a bit extravagant . . .)

on table snack bowl of very thick lemon pith - firm to the bite (dried(?) / preserved(?)) / sugared.

stunning good stuff.

now,,,

#1 - very thick pith - particular lemon variety?  nothing like it found in USA 'normal' stores.....

#2 - pith is generally regarded as "bitter" - but this prep (sugared) was only slightly sour/tart - superb "balance"

anyone know of this "dish" and/or it's prep?

Have you looked into recipes for κίτρο γλυκό or candied citron?  In some recipes, the zest is left on, but very many remove it. Like this one, this one, this one

Edited to add this lemon version, which is not what you had as some of the pulp is left on the pith but it gives an example of using additional flavors - honey, vanilla - that sound good. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

To fix duplicate link

I've posed this Q several times in several places - been looking for knowledge/insight into my 30 year lemon quest, which goes as follows:

on table snack bowl of very thick lemon pith - firm to the bite (dried(?) / preserved(?)) / sugared.

stunning good stuff.

now,,,

#1 - very thick pith - particular lemon variety?  nothing like it found in USA 'normal' stores.....

#2 - pith is generally regarded as "bitter" - but this prep (sugared) was only slightly sour/tart - superb "balance"

Have you looked into recipes for κίτρο γλυκό or candied citron?  In some recipes, the zest is left on, but very many remove it. Like this one, this one, this one

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

stunning good stuff.

now,,,