• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restaurants in Harrisburg

lapasterie

A friend of mine is going to Harrisburg and needs help with finding good restaurants. He does not care what kind of food just GOOD.

I ate at Bricco recently, it is on 3rd street...? I recently opened and is Italian. It's resonably priced and a great space. Also Stock's on Second is really good.

CherieV

Eat well, drink better!

(I'll note for the record that Harrisburg proper doesn't have a ton of restaurants compared to the rest of the area... There are many good places within a 10 minute drive of downtown HBG that aren't actually in the city. If you open the radius to 20 minutes there's even more places. If your friend does not object to a bit of a drive, there are a lot of good options.)

Emily

I have some suggestions from a life-long local, and plenty more if you want to get outside of Harrisburg proper. These are all downtown and enthusiastically recommended by her:

Char's Bella Mundo (Bistro) 540 Race Street 717-213-4002

Hayden's on Pine ("Gourmet") 215 Pine Street 717-909-5161

Mangia Qui (Italian) 272 North Street 717-233-7358

Passage to India 525 S. Front Street 717-233-1202

Simosans (Fusion) 1530 N. 2nd Street 717-233-5544

What If Cafe ("California") 3424 N. 6th St 717-236-1155

Some other thoughts from Central PA Magazine's Readers' Poll

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

• 11 months later...

I went to Harrisburg for a conference last week. Based on the recommendations listed in this thread, I and 7 other people attending the conference went to Passage to India for dinner (we could walk there from our hotel). Everyone (including me) was happy with our dinner.

Thanks for the suggestions, and especially for listing Passage to India. It's wonderful to be able to have such a resource (all the members of eGullet) for finding restaurants in a place I'd never been to before.

azurite

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a recent Sushi in Harrisburg thread with at least one suggestion.

Thank you Maestro Fenton.

I went to Sapporo East for dinner tonight and sat at the sushi bar. The food was surprisingly good for Harrisburg. Actually it was good sushi/sashimi for anywhere. What I had was very good but sitting at the bar shows you the other stuff that the chef can whip up. I think I'll go back Thursday night to get some of the things I saw whiz by me. I got there right after work around 5:15. By the time I left at 6:30 the place was packed.

I'm used to mediocre grub and one good Indian meal on my business trips here. I'm glad to know about this place and will go back.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!