• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper bowls for KA/Hobart N-50 mixers

AmbrosiaFood

I found a source on the internet that makes them -- similar to the one I bought from Bridge Kitchenware!

Bridge Kitchenware does not make or sell them anymore, so I was looking around and look what I found!

"Thank you for your interest on our up and coming Kitchen Aid copper bowls to fit the specifications of the mixers. There will be 3 models 1) professional 600, 2) Heavy Duty, 3) Artisan / twist lock model."

David Black

French Copper Studio

North American Division"

sales@frenchcopperstudio.com

http://www.frenchcopperstudio.com/

:wub:

Isn't this great?

They are very nice, but I suspect- and of course I could be completely wrong- that the bowls will cost, basically, what a decently priced KA mixer costs. They are clearly very proud of their products, judging by the pricing sample that I just did on their site.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

to be honest, i think these are more for looks than anything else. in modern kitchens, we don't have the same problems with egg whites and such that copper was made for initially. at the very least, i've worked in many restaurant kitchens for many years and have yet to have a need for a copper kitchen aid bowl. for other applications, you have to be careful with using copper due to verdigris poisoning (i could be wrong).

not that there's anything wrong with buying it solely for looks...but if that's the case, i'd rather buy cute copper cookie cutters or copper "pudding" molds.

Those look terrific! What the specific use of the copper  bowls will be?I meant the best usage , just as the other or more specific one?

Thank you for showing these new items.

Beating egg whites to their highest peaks is the best usage, and now your KA can do it for you!

I don't know about pricing. The last I heard they would go between $120 and $250 or so.

On of the reasons I keep my old 5 qt. KA stand mixer is that I have a copper liner for one of the bowls. I bought it quite a few years ago specifically for beating large batches of egg whites for meringues (schaum torte) and I found that egg whites beaten in copper have greater volume, more uniform bubble size and do not deflate as easily as when beaten in other type vessels.

For years I beat eggwhites for shaum torte by hand in copper bowls with a very fine "piano-wire" whisk for this reason (back in those days I had very strong arms).

Mine is the 5-qt made by Atlas. Old Dutch also made a liner for the 4.5 qt mixer.

You can sometimes find them on ebay.

It looks like this.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have one and hardly use it.

Never made much of a diff once I understood egg whites.

Unless it's an esthetic thing save the bux and buy a few cookbooks! :biggrin:

2317/5000

I bought mine after reading about Harold McGee's experiments with whipping eggwhites in copper.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I bought mine after reading about Harold McGee's experiments with whipping eggwhites in copper.

The charge thing, reaction between the copper and whites is real, just you can whip fantastic whites in a regular old KA bowl if you understand how the volume is affected by the speed, slowish to fast, etc.

2317/5000