• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soju Cocktails

ZenKimchi

I've posted in other threads that I've recently gotten hooked on Korea's soju cocktail trend. They're simple highballs with soju, a mixer, and Sprite. Most of them are, at least. I keep hearing about this mythical cucumber soju I gotta try.

The most interesting and addicting one I've had and made so far is yogurt soju. Like I said, it's built like a highball with soju, drinkable yogurt, topped with Sprite (Chilsung Cider in Korea). It's served in a used baekseju bottle, and everyone pours each other a shot -- KOMBAE!! -- and down they go until the next shot immediately following.

IMGP2655-723266.JPG

Edited by ZenKimchi (log)

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Ah, soju cocktail! I've forgotton many a night due to soju cocktails. I agree about the yogurt ones. Delicious. I always felt sorry for the bar staff who had to prick open all those little bottles to fill the pitcher. The hof near my place in Incheon used to sell a "rainbow" which we'd order when we went out with friends; cherry; grape; orange; lemon; mango and peach bottles, all served in a row. And then the bar staff would watch in amazement as we slammed these back - for god's sake, it was only 20% alcohol mixed liberally with fruit juice - hardly the Kamikazes and Purple Jesus' from university days - but you'd have thought we shooting straight brandy or something by their reactions.

And we always tried to avoid buying the obligatory food by claiming we'd just eaten dinner. We were once served, and I know you're in Korea, so you'll believe me:

slices of spam on triscuits; with processed cheese; peanut butter; ketchup; and mayonnaise (from a star tip, of course). And sweet pickles on the side.

I can see in your photo something sludged heavily with mayo and ketchup. What was it?

I can see in your photo something sludged heavily with mayo and ketchup. What was it?

Great eye for detail. In the back of my mind I thought someone would ask that. I'm trying to remember. I think it was Tangsuyuk (Sweet and Sour Pork) with ketchup-mayo-drenched cabbage.

That's the thing with many Korean hofs and restaurants who get their hands on Western ingredients. They haven't grown up with them, so they don't have the instincts that we have with them. It's like a three-year-old in the pantry.

"Look Mommy! I made a ketchup, cheese, and strawberry jam sandwich. Just for you!"

Seriously. I have had sandwiches not too far from that concoction.

Edited by ZenKimchi (log)

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog