• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

Also, the OP asked about hydrocolloids, presumably to stabilize hollandaise. This seams like a no-brainer of an idea, but I haven't heard of anyone having good luck with it. I've added a bit of xanthan and couldn't discern any difference. So I looked through the literature, and found no recommendations for doing it, and one scientific paper that strongly recommends against it. It seems that chefs who stabilize just about everything else agree with the scientists.

The only counter example I've found is a derivative technique on the Ideas in Food site. It's more of spheriphication technique than a stabilizing one.

paulraphael

paulraphael

Also, the OP asked about hydrocolloids, presumably to stabilize hollandaise. This seams like a no-brainer of an idea, but I haven't heard of anyone having good luck with it. I've added a bit of xanthan and couldn't discern any difference. So I scoured the literature, and found no recommendations for doing it, and one scientific paper that strongly recommends against it. It seems that chefs who stabilize just about everything else agree with the scientists.

The only counter example I've found is a derivative technique on the Ideas in Food site. It's more of spheriphication technique than a stabilizing one.