• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emergency court-bouillon: no wine in the house

Gifted Gourmet

Mother's Day is tomorrow and I have a court-bouillon emergency (''fumet de poisson'' if you are French) ...the less pretentious call it fish stock ...

I have no white wine in the house and it would have to be kosher anyway :hmmm: ... and tomorrow is Sunday and no wine or beer sales are available here in Georgia ... :hmmm:

How should I poach my salmon filets to keep them moist and delicate and pristine pink? :rolleyes:

I want to poach in the early morning and let the filets cool for afternoon serving ...

Suggestions for the poaching liquid?? I do have vegetables and spices on hand at least ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The only thing I can think of thats kosher is a vegetable broth acidified with some lemon or a good "fancy" vinager.

I have seen an "en papillot" salmon dish that used lots of lemon juice and no wine

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Gifted, any acid will do, I prefer to use lemon juice in my court bouillon anyway usually, even if I have wine in there. I woudl stay away from white distilled vinegar, which is good for absolutely nothing if you ask me. But you will do just fine, I am sure.

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Mother's Day is tomorrow and I have a court-bouillon emergency (''fumet de poisson'' if you are French) ...the less pretentious call it fish stock ...

I have no white wine in the house and it would have to be kosher anyway  :hmmm: ... and tomorrow is Sunday and no wine or beer sales are available here in Georgia ... :hmmm:

How should I poach my salmon filets to keep them moist and delicate and pristine pink? :rolleyes:

I want to poach in the early morning and let the filets cool for afternoon serving ...

Suggestions for the poaching liquid?? I do have vegetables and spices on hand at least ... :wink:

I'm trying an olive oil poached "confit" of ocean trout tonight.

PS: I am a guy.

the tetsuya method, perchance?

Be interested to hear about the results

Tetsuya Wakuda made for very interesting reading but which of his methods shall I use for poaching my salmon, beandork? :rolleyes:

He basically told me to trust my instincts and to try mixtures. He taught me, but also gave me the confidence and opportunity to test a lot." And so, over the past decade, Tetsuya has built from that, refining continuously until now he feels confident in his own methods and the way he has passed them on to his staff, to let them try on their own, but only sometimes

the tetsuya method, perchance?

Be interested to hear about the results

Well, the inspiration came from him but I couldn't find his actual recipe anywhere on the internet so I just sort of winged it myself. I roasted 4 heads of garlic in some OO (not extra virgin) to scent the oil and then mixed it 50/50 with EVOO. heated it up to 50C, added in the deboned and deskinned trout filets which dropped the heat down to 40C. Put it in a 50C oven (the lowest mine will go) and took it out when it reached 45, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, I cooked the fish skin in a non-stick pan until crisp.

The result:

mday_main.jpg

The fish was moist and meltingly tender. Not much garlic flavour or olive flavour I have to admit so I don't know if just poaching it in a neutral oil would make much of a difference. The fish wasn't seasoned when it went into the pot and the oil wasn't seasoned so the fish was a bit undersalted (although the cous cous made up for it). I don't know what would be a good way to get some seasoning into the fish, can you brine fish?

Apart from that, it's a great method of cooking fish and the oil is lent a subtle, fishy aroma that would work great in some of the more robust salads.

gifted gourmet: you've probably gathered from shalmanese's post, it involves poaching the fish - salmon in your case - in oil at a loooooooooow heat. Tetsuya doesn't finish it with frying, so he ends up with the fillet cooked confit style, appearing raw but super tender. There's a picture at the following link, for inspiration (you will have to scroll down a wee bit) : http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/2005/04/t...yas-sydney.html

shalmanese: not sure about brining the fish. I'd probably just go the whole hog and encust it in konbu :rolleyes:

Anyway, you've inspired me. I've got to have a go at this method this week.

I wound up poaching the salmon filets with a bit of lemon, wine vinegar, salt and pepper and it tasted very lovely indeed .. so no one even missed the omitted white wine in the court bouillon:

gallery_10011_1589_78526.jpg

Just found this article, with recipes for butter poaching by Ming Tsai

Recipes here include:

Butter Poaching Technique

Butter Poached Lobster with Herbed New Potatoes

Butter Poached Shrimp  with Yuzu-Carrot Puree

Butter Poached Duck Breasts  with Watercress Salad

Todd English’s Black Olive Studded Lamb Loin with Minted Fennel Purée

• 3 months later...

Shalmanese, or anyone that's cooked trout the Tetsuya method - please help.

My oven goes down to 50C and doesn't seem to operate with the door open, so 50C it is. I can see that the fish above cooked for 20 minutes at 50C isn't as red as Tetsuya's. Do you think I can cook it less at 50C for a 'rawer' look?

I love the Tetsuya book but the instruction to 'turn the oven to the lowest it can go and cook for 6-7 minutes' is madness. Some people ovens might start at 50, some at 120C so it is very imprecise.

You need to keep the oil temperature at around 45C for 20 minutes IIRC. The easiest way to do this is to just start it at 40C and put it in a 50C oven, when it hits 45, take it out and wait till it drops back down to 40C and then put it back in the oven. Keep on doing this for 30 minutes and you'll have fish at your desired temp.

You need to keep the oil temperature at around 45C for 20 minutes IIRC. The easiest way to do this is to just start it at 40C and put it in a 50C oven, when it hits 45, take it out and wait till it drops back down to 40C and then put it back in the oven. Keep on doing this for 30 minutes and you'll have fish at your desired temp.

Thanks for the guidance, Shalmanese. Your fish didn't look as red or raw as the one in the Tetsuya book - or is that just the photo?