• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ranges

cmben

I am in the planning stages of remodeling my kitchen from the ugly "L" tract home monster to a open plan "country" kitchen with all the bells & whistles to feed my hobby of preparing food for family & friends. To that end I have been researching stove/ranges. My last "pro" kitchen I had a restaurant Wolf. It was big, great heat, huge oven but no convection or broiler. I've looked at Viking, Wolf {home series} , Aga and Bertazzoni. The Bertazzoni is a new import from Italy. It looks great, has five burners, big oven w/ convection and best of all is about $1500. less then the home grown brands. You can buy a lot of toys for a kitchen with an extra $1500! The question is. does any of my egullet correspondents have any experience with the Bertazzoni stoves. Any other suggestions?

My last "pro" kitchen I had a restaurant Wolf. Any other suggestions?

My thought is that if you've been used to using a real commercial power restaurant range like Wolf, you'll never be happy with the "pro-style" residential ranges. They "look" great, but lack power.

I'm in the process of re-remodeling my kitchen cause I made the mistake to go with a Thermador "Professional" Gas Cooktop. THose 15k BTU burners/griddle/grill just don't cut it for me.

Looking at a 60" Wolf, American, or Superior. A little firebrick all around, a bigger gas pipe, a few adjustments to my Vent-a-Hood, and I should be there!

doc

Be sure to check out Blue Star's RNB series of ranges -- 22,000 BTUs is probably the highest output burner you'll find in a "pro-style" range meant for residential use...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I am in the same process....unfortunately, I don't have a hood that vents out in a 450 square feet apartment, so supposedly, the pro-style ranges are out for me.

At 450 square feet I'm surprised you have room for a sink, never mind a stove. Good luck!!!

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 4 months later...

It's probably too late for me to get in on this - but I have a 48" viking, and though I swore I wouldn't give it up, we have retired and will have to sell our house. My initial reaction to this was 'where I go, that stove goes', but I've found a possible source for a commercial range, and I may succumb to that :-) I expect leaving it will make the otherwise dubious kitchen more attractive, and it would cost a fortune to move anyway. I won't mind trading up, but no way will I go back to basic residential.

The Viking has been great - it's certainly a thousand percent better than anything else I have cooked on, and the 24" grill has been a wonderful toy. I looked at other ranges, and might have gone elsewhere, but it was the only one I could find that we could fit through the door, and at that the clearance was about 1/16", we thought we'd have to take the knobs off!

We are building the new place, so will be able to put any fool thing in we can find, but if I can go commercial, I'll do it.

Having said all that - measure everything very carefully. Ultimately, our decision pn the Viking was made by the width of the narrowest door it had to pass through. I don't regret it, but after some measuring we found the options seriously limited.

Lynn

Oregon, originally Montreal

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit! ....what a ride!"