• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations in Kerry & Limerick

• 2 weeks later...

In Listowel, The Bridgestone Food Guide recommends Allo's, a bar and bistro. I haven't been, but it might be worth a shot. And if you cross the Shannon from Adare to Killaloe in Co Clare, the Cherry Tree Restaurant is worth a visit.

I've eaten in Allo's. A nice bar really with some pretty decent food. Certainly unpretentious and probably what you are after. . not a quiet place... It was full the night we were there and hopping.

Have just returned from a very pleasant weekend here. One of the biggest differences we all noticed was that the people generally are exceptionally friendly - from the general public to people who worked in car rental, hotels, golf clubs etc, add this to the restaurant and bar staff and you are humbled by their natural willingness to please. Some English places should take note.

We stayed for two nights in Allo's in Listowel. A charming place full of character, excellent, comfortable, clean rooms, and as previously mentioned, nothing was too much trouble - including turning up 1 hour after the advertised kitchen closed time (albeit they knew we were going to be slightly late) and have choice from a full menu. Very relaxed, uncomplicated food - a duck, prawn, noodle and lots of seasonal veg stir fry the first night, clean and clear flavours. The second night I had two roast, boned stuffed quails which were tender, juicy and flavour excellent and a seafood chowder which had tons of shellfish in. The restaurant bit is separate to the bar and although you can hear the goings on (on our second night we were treated to a Northern Irish piano player of some pedigree and 12 not so talented singers but what the hell....once we had finished our meal we joined them until about 3am).

Our last night was spent in the charming Dunraven Arms in Adare, opposite Adare Manor Golf Resort. The place has a lovely 1920s feel to it and would be very easy to be corporate and chitzy but wasn't. Lots of parlour style rooms for the restaurant that led onto each other with black and white marbled floors, lots of archatraved square arches, tasteful, warm decor and all the staff (of differeing ages, shapes and sizes) were immaculalty turned out. After quizing the maitre d' about the origin of their crab and if the rib of beef (carved from the trolley) had been cooked for a while and therefore had been sitting around drying out, he assured us that we would not be dissapointed. Unfortunatly, the crab linguini was a dissapointment, only becasue the cream sauce killed the crab, which when you got it was very good. The beef was truly excellent. Ordered rare it was carved beside me and was exceptionally tender and deep, long flavour. Others had quails which were stuffed with a mushroom mouse (not bad) and a very sexed up Irish Stew.

Back in the bar, while the others had their smoke outside, I ordered some whiskey. Now, the previous night at Allo's, we had had some very good Midleton single malt and I remembered getting some change for 4 doubles from a 50 euro note. Spotting from some distance a bottle of 'Midleton' on the bar at the Dunraven Arms I ordered another 4 doubles and duly got out my 50 euro note waiting for the bar lady to return with the drinks. When she looked at my note she laughed and said 'I hope you have two there'. Why, I said. ' Becasue this is liquuid gold this stuff, its 16 euros a shot.' 132 euros on the credit card later, we could see why. It was an exceptional, so much so, we had anothe round. Spicy but subtle, sandlewood notes, even a little peachy vanilla. Deep burnt amber colour, viscous. A long, multi flavoured palate with lots of spices and fruit, real peat qualities and a long finish. I have since learnt that this is a very rare whiskey, one of the best ever produced in Ireland and if you come across it, if the time is right, have it.

A perfect way to end a great trip.