• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for The Gers

Haninger

This department of old "Gascogne" has some of the most rural countryside in France. Towns are small, and areas in between the towns have sparse things to do for a tourist. Auch is the biggest village, and the area, being in the SudOuest specializes in duck and goose liver preparations.

You might do best to eat and/or stay at some of the Fermes Auberges, a wonderful idea throughout France where the proprietor of a farm opens up a dining room where they can only prepare items grown on the farm itself. Some of them have simple lodging as well. Don't look for any luxury hotels in Gascogne. But do try a Ferme Auberge. It can be a wonderful experience!

FERMES AUBERGES IN THE GERS

Thanks for this suggestion! I wasn't necessarily looking for something fancy, just some great local food. A Ferme Auberge sounds perfect, especially if we can tour the farm. Please let me know if you have a particular Ferme Auberge to recommend. Thanks again!

Actually I've only been to several Fermes Auberges in the Lot and Dordogne areas. But use the link I provided above, it lists all of them, usually most of them are very very good. And please report back to us here about your experiences!

Auch is the biggest village, and the area, being in the SudOuest specializes in duck and goose liver preparations. 

First off, don't forget that eGullet member Kate Hill, who runs a cooking school and knows all about Gascony, can be consulted.

Second, and we're into vieux schnoque=alta cocker=old fart territory here. While I realize that Andre Daguin sold the Hotel de France in Auch in 1997, after launching daughter Ariane to NY/NJ and Arnaud to Washington, London, esteemed French kitchens and now the Basque country, his place was a glorious place to stay and eat (they had all all duck meal meal, at least in 1985).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris