• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Institute (NY)

daisy17

A work colleague asked me if I knew anything about the restaurants at CIA in Hyde Park. (Most of the people I work with really only talk to me when they need information about food, but I digress.) Any suggestions/info would be appreciated.

If you haven't checked it out yet, the link to the restaurants is: CIA Restaurants

Depends on what you are comparing to, where you are coming from and a number of other factors. Have been there many times when, for example, travelling from upstate NY where we live en route to NYC or when visiting friends in the mid-Hudson. It might be considered somewhat of a "destination" restaurant when combined with a visit to the campus, which is beautiful or some of the other surrounding areas. Be aware that it is a teaching institute and although the kitchens are supervised by faculty, some quality of food and service may vary as to whom is on what rotation and what their experience is. So it takes some patience on your part. Like servers in any restaurant, their attitude, level of knowledge, etc. can greatly vary, but they always seem earnest and eager to please. After all, they are being graded. Our favorite is the Caterina de Medici, although they all have their merits and we have never been disappointed. Wine lists are good and fairly priced. Just don't expect it to be like one of NYC's best restaurants, just enjoy it for what it is.

Mark A. Bauman

While you are correct that the servers are being graded, most students hate this part of the rotation. It is also the last part of their education at CIA, and most students have already "left" in their own minds. I have never had good, even passable service at any of the restaurants on campus.

Put a gun to my head I would say go to Escoffier. Avoid American Bounty at all costs. It is the most over-rated, underperforming resto there...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Well, actually, I have to agree. You are more accurate in your observations, me, a little more forgiving. One of the shortcomings of these chefs in training is lack of appreciation for the front of the house and they mostly view this part of their training as a necessary evil. The only one that I ever had that provided good service was someone who turned out wanted to be a maitre 'd. Otherwise, service almosts needs to be overlooked or have great patience with to enjoy the experience. I have found that at least at Caterina, the wine and front end instructors tend to be more involved with the patrons and pick up some of the student's slack.

Mark A. Bauman

Although this isn't responsive to the initial quesiton, I think the appeal of the CIA has to be reevaluated in light of the existence of Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

Funny you should mention it - my reaction when asked about CIA was that they should go to Blue Hill at Stone Barns for dinner instead.

Perhaps your colleague might consider saving on travel time and eating at a culinary school restaurant in Manhattan? It's not everyone's cup of tea but I've had a number of good meals at L'Ecole - the room in SoHo operated by the French Culinary Institute. Service was not highly polished but was attentive and adequate - and prices very fair.

well. here's the deal.

eating at cia is way more about a whole experience then the actual food/service. its about checking out the training ground for possibilily the single most influential location for future chefs (except maybe bouley and gotham). i can't even tell you how many famous chefs came out of cia. (portale, colicchio, bourdain, scott conant, rocco, andrew carmelini, dan barber, list goes on and on and on.

first of all, you're 90 miles from nyc. so its nice to get out of the city once in a while. while you're up there, theres other things to do i suppose. millbrook vineyards is close by and worth a visit. their pinot noir has been on a few nyc winelists, for sure (l'impero for example.).

the campus setting is gorgeous. its right directly on the hudson. the main building was renovated and its looking beautiful.

dont go for the campus store because you can get all the cookbooks in there on amazon and all the cooking tools on jbprince.com.

you should definitely do a tour of the campus, see the main dining hall, all the kitchen/classrooms, etc. that part is fun (if you haven't seen it before).

the bakery cafe has a lot of bread/pastries that you can take home. really good stuff.

another benefit? the prices!!! you can see the menu's and wine lists currently online right now

specifically: wine. at escoffier, if i were to go back to eat tomorrow, i would totally order:

trimbach, cuvee seigneurs de ribeauperre, gewurtztraminer - $46

guigal, condrieu - $48

moreau, chablis, grand cru "les clos" $76

drohin, chambolle musigny, red burgundy, 2002, $64

they also had a paul jaboulet aine hermitage for something about exactly the same price you'd find it at sherry lehman

i mean these are crazy deals!!!

at bounty:

roederer estate, nv, $40

iron horse 99, 1999, $48

robert sinskey, carneros, pinot $$58

david bruce, russian river, pinot, $54

the food at escoffier is the most dated. but the prof there used to be the maitre d at oceana. the chef was a sous chef at la cote basque. pretty cool.. you will have the table all night, the room is pretty, the view is awesome, open kitchen. tableside rack of lamb, dover sole, bananas foster.

the food at american bounty has gotten much better since chef eisenhauer took over. she was at prune and savoy in soho, nyc for a while.

the food at caterina di metici is good italian. the room is gorgeous, new, the nicest of the 4.

another benefit: the kids are actually genuine. if there are mistakes, everything will be comped. it is a school, not a business, afterall.

i think i might be goin up to visit sometime soon and drinkin some of those wines i mentioned.

Edited by chefboy24 (log)

Well, actually, I have to agree. You are more accurate in your observations, me, a little more forgiving. One of the shortcomings of these chefs in training is lack of appreciation for the front of the house and they mostly view this part of their training as a necessary evil. The only one that I ever had that provided good service was someone who turned out wanted to be a maitre 'd. Otherwise, service almosts needs to be overlooked or have great patience with to enjoy the experience. I have found that at least at Caterina, the wine and front end instructors tend to be more involved with the patrons and pick up some of the student's slack.

true. i'm a sommelier in manhattan now, and when i was front of house at cia, i definitely provided better service them my classmates.

i think its safe to say of that any given class serving you in the front of house, maybe 70% of them will initially want to be a linecook--->sous chef--->chef. the other 30% will be into front of the house right out of school.

but then again, no one at school thought of front of house at "neccesary evil." thats pretty harsh. obviously everyone knows how important it is.

also - you cycle thru all the restaurants, whether you want to or not. so if you had a more pleasant time and better service at caterina, it may be that specific group of students was more talented. (which happens a lot).

Edited by chefboy24 (log)