• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chronicle Top 100 2006

eje

Top 100 Bay Area Restaurants

Michael Bauer introduces this year's top 100 by refuting Dan Patterson's NY Times magazine piece lamenting the lack of creativity in Bay Area cuisine.

While these efforts may be less flamboyant than hanging strips of bacon on a wire dripping with butterscotch, as Alinea in Chicago does, or pairing hanger steak tartare with peaches and bearnaise ice cream, as at WD50 in New York, they're still noteworthy.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I saw Slow Club on the list and wanted to point it out as it doesn't get mentioned much. A cocktail of the day, menu constantly changing, and easy parking. Inexpensive for the level of quality. Biggest downside is the noise level which is way high. Take that special someone who is so special that you have no need to talk with him/her over dinner. :laugh: Or perhaps that special teenager who won't say a word to you.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Interesting correction in today's Chronicle. I guess the misplaced the Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton in their top 100!

Corrections

-- In last Sunday's Chronicle Magazine, the Dining Room of the Ritz-Carlton was omitted from the Top 100 restaurants feature. Because of the omission, this year's list contains 101 restaurants. At this point, we're not axing anyone from the 2006 list, but next year we'll be back to 100. The write-up can be found at sfgate.com/food/ under Top 100.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I just discovered Michael Bauer's (SF Chronicle) "Top 100 List." I know I'll probably get some eGullet warnings after posting that I shouldn't mind the list all that much. However, I did notice that a few of the restaurants that eGulleters have recommended to me haven't been listed in the past two years... namely, The Dining Room (at the Ritz), and Ame (which, by the way, how do I pronounce?)

Can anyone colour this in for me?

Thanks.

u.e.

[Edited to add: LOL! :laugh: My post was merged into this forum. I just noticed that the last post by eje answers my question!!]

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I just discovered Michael Bauer's (SF Chronicle) "Top 100 List."  I know I'll probably get some eGullet warnings after posting that I shouldn't mind the list all that much.  However, I did notice that a few of the restaurants that eGulleters have recommended to me haven't been listed in the past two years...  namely, The Dining Room (at the Ritz), and Ame (which, by the way, how do I pronounce?)

Hi! I keep meaning to reply to your other thread but I keep getting distracted!

The reason is simple: Ame is new and Ron "Iron Chef" Siegel took over the Dining Room in 2004 (?). So, in essence, both restaurants in their current state are new.