• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Philly

herbacidal

I was thinking we might do well to start a Best of Philly thread, as a what not to miss if you only have one day in town, etc.

That way, we can head off and refer most of the out of towner questions to the thread.

I'll start with a few of the obvious:

Reading Terminal Market at 12th and Arch Streets.

Best overall food market in the US, especially considering its balance between market and lunch offerings.

Considering I've never been to Ferry Building Marketplace, Pike Place Market, and any other market outside of Chelsea Market in NYC (which I think is far less diverse and offers far less to most visitors) that opinion may be worth nothing.

I can think of a few ordinary street markets in Hong Kong and China that I like better.

Cheesesteaks: Pat's, Geno's and Jim's are what tourists know about.

There's also John's Roast Pork @ 2nd and Snyder, D'Alessandro's @Walnut Lane & Henry Ave, Chink's @ 60th and Torresdale, Steve's in the Reading Terminal that slightly more experienced folks know.

Okay, that's enough for now. Let ér rip.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Tony Luke's on Oregon Avenue. Best place for both a Roast Pork Italiano and a Cheesesteak so you could have both.

The Italian Market which is different than Reading Terminal. There are things about an outdoor market (and there's that whole Rocky thing too) that Reading Terminal can't emulate.

DiBruno's new store at 17th & Chestnut. The closest thing Philly has to Zabar's, etc. in NYC but still with a distinctive Philly flav-a.

The Grey Lodge, Monk's, Royal Tavern or Standard Tap are gastropubs like no other, There are more places for a really good beer and a really good bite to eat here than you can shake a stick at.

Tacconelli's Pizza - that's all I've got and all I need to say. If you feel like driving further then check out DiLorenzo's Hudson Street in Trenton. Or Rustica on North 2nd Street next door to Standard Tap. We gots us some ass-kickin' 'za.

Rouge, London Grill or Good Dog - you'd be hard pressed to find a better line up of burgers anywhere.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was thinking we might do well to start a Best of Philly thread, as a what not to miss if you only have one day in town, etc.

That way, we can head off and refer most of the out of towner questions to the thread.

I'll start with a few of the obvious:

Reading Terminal Market at 12th and Arch Streets.

Best overall food market in the US, especially considering its balance between market and lunch offerings.

Considering I've never been to Ferry Building Marketplace, Pike Place Market, and any other market outside of Chelsea Market in NYC (which I think is far less diverse and offers far less to most visitors) that opinion may be worth nothing.

I can think of a few ordinary street markets in Hong Kong and China that I like better.

There's also John's Roast Pork @ 2nd and Snyder, D'Alessandro's @Walnut Lane & Henry Ave, Chink's @ 60th and Torresdale, Steve's in the Reading Terminal that slightly more experienced folks know.

Okay, that's enough for now.  Let ér rip.

There's no Steve's in Reading Terminal Market; perhaps youre thinking of Rick's. And perhaps you might want to do a little research before posting something in this vein.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Carman's Country Kitchen for a breakfast you won't be able to match anywhere else, mainly because nowhere else does Carman come with your breakfast--but the dishes are inventive too.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

There's no Steve's in Reading Terminal Market; perhaps youre thinking of Rick's.  And perhaps you might want to do a little research before posting something in this vein.

U be right. I am thinking of Rick's.

I just want the thread up. I'm just throwing it out there.

Hopefully it'll grow and be useful enough to the out of towners to be pinned.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Sorry Herb, but there's also no "60th and Torresdale." Chink's is at 6030 Torresdale Ave., in the Northeast. 60th St. would be West Philadelphia.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Sorry Herb, but there's also no "60th and Torresdale." Chink's is at 6030 Torresdale Ave., in the Northeast. 60th St. would be West Philadelphia.

You're right. I've been through the NE enough to know that.

Stupid me. I was just being lazy and didn't put the exact address.

It's what I get for doing this late at night.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.