• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Should I bother saving

aswag74

As I am just starting out with the wine thing......

Is it only worth saving wines to age if they are...well....expensive?

We generally go to the wine store, pick something for dinner (10-15$), bring it home and pop it open. But, if there's something in this price range that we like, is it worth buying a bunch, and seeing what time does to it? Or are these wines designed for the very purpose we are using them? Will a 12 dollar pinot do anything...interesting...over the couse of a few years?

Forgive my ignorance, trying to do something about it, and the advice I've been getting here is exactly what I'm looking for.

pinot is a problematic example. a lot of pinots will improve, but the price point of pinot is such that a $12 one i'm not sure about. basically, the thing to look at is the structure of the wine. it should have at least moderate tannin structure and it should have noticable acidity, even when very young. those are the things that will provide the framework for aging. i do cellar a lot of wines, but for different periods. i find 2-3 years is wonderful for most chianti (which i drink a lot of) with some of hte more traditional ones going way longer. most california cabs will reward 5-7 years, pinots 3-5 years. i even have a couple of california chardonnays i collect in verticals: stony hill and mayacamas. taste every once in a while and see how it's developing. i find the acidity is usually the first thing to go.

As I am just starting out with the wine thing......

Is it only worth saving wines to age if they are...well....expensive?

We generally go to the wine store, pick something for dinner (10-15$), bring it home and pop it open. But, if there's something in this price range that we like, is it worth buying a bunch, and seeing what time does to it? Or are these wines designed for the very purpose we are using them? Will a 12 dollar pinot do anything...interesting...over the couse of a few years?

Forgive my ignorance, trying to do something about it, and the advice I've been getting here is exactly what I'm looking for.

Your present behavior is perfect; you get good wine at a good price and you have a chance to try whatever is new, should you wish to. I can't imagine a better way to get into wine; and I do encourage you to try something new when the opportunity presents itself.

As for keeping wine; I would not do it unless I had a proper storage unit, be it cellar or stand-alone cooler; and those are pretty substantial investments. The wine store (assuming you are dealing with a good one) is a free storage unit; for as long as that is sufficient for your needs, take advantage of it.

Aging wine is ALWAYS a dice roll. Some producers give better odds than others but the risk never goes away. So factor that into your plans, as well.

I have been drinking fine wine for forty years. The first twenty, I did exactly what you're doing. It worked for me.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

How we bulit a collection over 30+ years.

We always purchase in case lots for a price break and in good years we purchased the French in 3rd to 5 th growths and some lessor wines as futures. We purchase cases of French Burgundy, German whites, Sauternes and once in while Champagne in good years also. Memorable was a case of 1962 Dom Perignon, sadly all gone.

We also purchase cases of US, Spanish and what have you to have as everyday drinking wines. If you purchase a case and don't like the first bottle, any decent wine merchant will allow you to return the wine.

When the expensive wines are in cases that are still intact and you have other wines in your residence, then you are less likely to drink wines that should age. We currently have a few 1961 Bordeaux's left along with 61' and '64 Brugundy. We are just starting to drink the 1970's because all the '64', 66's and '69's are gone.

I wouldn't worry about storage until you get past 20 years. We have lost a few bottles along the way but that is just normal. Now our TBA's, BA's and Auslese are stored in a Kitchenaid wine cooler and the rest in our basement which stays fairly cool all year round.

Don't think about where you are today but concentrate on the futuer and before you know it, you will have a nice celler. Then it is a treat to have friends over and uncork an older vintage that is truly ready to drink or take it to a restaurant with you. One caveat, wines vinified to day, will not drink and age like wines of 30+ yeard ago. They are vinified in a lighter style and are ready to drink earlier.-Dick