• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

35 Chinese words describing different cooking

hzrt8w

7-    Men - Similar to stewing. A first fry in oil with seasonings. Stock or water is added, brought to a boil, lowered, and a long period of slow simmering follows.

This is a popular Cantonese cooking method too.

紅燜羊肉 (Simmered Mutton)

Click through the Google image search page to view the picture:

(Sample 1: Simmered Mutton)

焖牛腱 (Simmered Beef Shank)

(Sample 2: Simmered Beef Shank)

焖鸭 (Simmered Duck)

(Sample 3: Simmered Duck)

#7 - Men / mun

Men is very similar to the Western process of stewing. The procedure is to fry the main ingredient first in a little oil, together with various seasonins and supplementary ingredients and materials. A reasonable amount of water or stock is then added, and the contents brought to the boil.

The heat is then reduced, and a long period of slow-simmering follows.

The apparent difference between "men' and Western stewing lies in the fact that the Chinese concept involves somewhat lower heat and a longer period of cooking. Hence anything 'men

tends to be cooked to almose jelly-like tenderness, and because of the use of soy sauce, an ingredient which does not seem to change character whatever amount of cooking it is subjected to, the chances of success here are much greater.

Again in contrast to Western stewing, in Chinese cooking of this type generally just meat alone is used without vegetables, at any rate to start with. Meat such as beef (especially shin), lamb, pork (pigs' feet, knuckles, etc.) is cooked in this way. In any case, because of the length of time involved in cooking, any vegetables cooked with the meat would mostly have disappeared by the end of 3-5 hours of slow-cooking, during which time their flavor-imparting qualities would have become negligible. Hence, in "Men", unlike stewing, when vegetables and other supplementary ingredients are used, if they are introduced at all, they are added only toward the last 20 - 45 minutes of cooking time.

The most frequent forms of 'Men' are Brown Stew and Red Stew (using brown sugar, red bean cheese or red wine-sediment paste in addition to soy sauce). Kenneth Lo

8-    Shao - Similar to 'men' in that oil frying is followed by simmering in stock or water. But a reduction is achieved when other ingredients are added leaving a small amount of gravy. 'Men' has more gravy.

8- Shao

The most popular way is the Hung Shao (red braised) dishes:

紅燒大鮑翅 (Red Braised Shark Fin)

(Sample 1: 紅燒大鮑翅 (Red Braised Shark Fin) )

紅燒獅子頭 (Lion Head Meatballs - Shanghai specialty)

(Sample 2: 紅燒獅子頭 (Lion Head Meatballs - Shanghai specialty) )

紅燒甩水 (Red Braised Fish)

(Sample 3: 紅燒甩水 (Red Braised Fish) )

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

8-    Shao - Similar to 'men' in that oil frying is followed by simmering in stock or water. But a reduction is achieved when other ingredients are added leaving a small amount of gravy. 'Men' has more gravy.

8- Shao

The most popular way is the Hung Shao (red braised) dishes:

紅燒大鮑翅 (Red Braised Shark Fin)

(Sample 1: 紅燒大鮑翅 (Red Braised Shark Fin) )

紅燒獅子頭 (Lion Head Meatballs - Shanghai specialty)

(Sample 2: 紅燒獅子頭 (Lion Head Meatballs - Shanghai specialty) )

紅燒甩水 (Red Braised Fish)

(Sample 3: 紅燒甩水 (Red Braised Fish) )

#8 - -Shao / Siu

Shao is one of the most commonly employed terms in Chinese cooking. The process is very similar to the preceeding 'MEN' in that it involves frying first in a little oil, then continuing by simmering in stock and water.

The difference lies in that in the second phase in the process of Shao, there is a period of conscious reduction of liquid (as in French cooking), when small amounts of fresh ingredients and seasonings are often added, leaving ultimately only a small amount of thickened gravy to go with the meat. In 'MEN' there is usually more gravy. (Kenneth Lo)

9-  叉 燒 Cha Shao - (Spit Roasting) - A reduction of liquid followed by barbecuing or roasting. Often the process marinates strips followed by 'hang roasting'.

9- 叉 燒 Cha Shao - (Split Roasting)

(I really hope that this is Split Roasting and not Spit Roasting. :raz: )

The famous Cantonese BBQ:

蜜汁叉燒, BBQ Pork

(Sample 1: 蜜汁叉燒, BBQ Pork )

There are many dishes and items that can be made with BBQ pork. It is very versatile.

叉燒酥, Puff Pastry with BBQ Pork Filling

(Sample 2: 叉燒酥, Puff pastry with BBQ pork inside )

叉燒銀芽炒蛋, Stir-Fried Bean Sprout with Egg and BBQ Pork

(Sample 3: 叉燒銀芽炒蛋, Stir-Fried Bean Sprout with Egg and BBQ Pork )

叉燒包, Steamed BBQ Pork Bao

(Sample 4: 叉燒包, Steamed BBQ Pork Bao )

叉燒腸粉, Steamed Rice Noodle with BBQ Pork Filling

(Sample 5: 叉燒腸粉, Steamed Rice Noodle with BBQ Pork Filling )

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

Ah Leung, rest easy. "Spit roasting" does not refer to expectoration. :laugh:

Courtesy of dictionary.com:

spit2

n.

1. A slender, pointed rod on which meat is impaled for broiling.

2. A narrow point of land extending into a body of water.

tr.v. spit·ted, spit·ting, spits

To impale on or as if on a spit.

[Middle English, from Old English spitu.]

Michael aka "Pan"

Ah Leung, rest easy. "Spit roasting" does not refer to expectoration. :laugh:

Oh... okay... When I checked on Encarta, I didn't scroll down far enough... :laugh: Thank you!

9-  叉 燒 Cha Shao - (Spit Roasting) - A reduction of liquid followed by barbecuing or roasting. Often the process marinates strips followed by 'hang roasting'.

9- 叉 燒 Cha Shao - (Split Roasting)

(I really hope that this is Split Roasting and not Spit Roasting. :raz: )

The famous Cantonese BBQ:

蜜汁叉燒, BBQ Pork

(Sample 1: 蜜汁叉燒, BBQ Pork )

There are many dishes and items that can be made with BBQ pork. It is very versatile.

叉燒酥, Puff Pastry with BBQ Pork Filling

(Sample 2: 叉燒酥, Puff pastry with BBQ pork inside )

叉燒銀芽炒蛋, Stir-Fried Bean Sprout with Egg and BBQ Pork

(Sample 3: 叉燒銀芽炒蛋, Stir-Fried Bean Sprout with Egg and BBQ Pork )

叉燒包, Steamed BBQ Pork Bao

(Sample 4: 叉燒包, Steamed BBQ Pork Bao )

叉燒腸粉, Steamed Rice Noodle with BBQ Pork Filling

(Sample 5: 叉燒腸粉, Steamed Rice Noodle with BBQ Pork Filling )

# 9 Cantonese - 叉 燒 -Cha Shao / Caa Siu

In the Cantonese 'Cha Shao' method, there is not only a process of reduction of liquid at the last phase, but in addition, the meat is placed over a fire or in the oven for a period of barbecuing or roasting. Often the 'Cha Shao' process involves cutting the meat (usually pork) into strips, then thoroughly marinating them before 'hang roasting' them in the oven. The strips of meat are brushed with a specially prepared marinade at regular intervals until cooked.

In the process of 'Cantonese Roast Pigling', the head and tail of the animal are subjected to a period of "Shao" (that is, cooking in the pan with the flavoring ingredients) before the whole animal is barbecue-roasted. (Kenneth Lo)

jo-mel:

I was reading the reviews on Ms Dunlop's Land of the Plenty today and found the following statement:

Before you know it you are running headlong into a world of 23 distinct flavors and 56 cooking methods (they are all listed at the end of the book).

I have not read her book yet. Do you have a copy? (Knowing that you have all kinds of Chinese cookbooks...) I am wondering about her list of the 56 cooking methods... I thought Kenneth Lo's 40 words/methods of Chinese cooking is already a lot! What are the additional 16 that we haven't learned about?

jo-mel:

I was reading the reviews on Ms Dunlop's Land of the Plenty today and found the following statement:

Before you know it you are running headlong into a world of 23 distinct flavors and 56 cooking methods (they are all listed at the end of the book).

I have not read her book yet. Do you have a copy? (Knowing that you have all kinds of Chinese cookbooks...) I am wondering about her list of the 56 cooking methods... I thought Kenneth Lo's 40 words/methods of Chinese cooking is already a lot! What are the additional 16 that we haven't learned about?

I'll cross check tthe list. I do see 'pao' for pickling in brine, and 'dong' for jellying or freezing.

My main computer needs the Geek Squad and they won't be here until Thursday. This computer doesn't have my trusty Chinese dictionary. I'll see if I can download it later. Otherwise, I'll just list the pinyin when I finish cross checking.

I checked out Fuchsia Dunlops list. She gives credit to the 1998 Sichuan culinary encyclopedia published by the Chongqing Publishing House.

Of the 40 terms in Kenneth Lo's book, 17 are repeated in the Land of Plenty list. Some of the terms in Land of Plenty are not in Lo's book. Some of the terms in the Sichuan culinary ency. list will break up a term such as "Chao" (a general term for stir/frying) into raw frying; cooked frying; small frying; and soft frying. The same with deep frying and 'shao' cooking.

(I compared the actual Chinese character, rather than the definitions to get those numbers.)

I wonder if I need permission to put it into print here? The terms are clearly and concisely explained. It is a good list.

[...]

Some of the terms in the Sichuan culinary ency. list will break up a term such as "Chao"  (a general term for stir/frying) into raw frying; cooked frying; small frying; and soft frying. The same with deep frying and 'shao' cooking.

[...]

I wonder if I need permission to put it into print here?  The terms are clearly and concisely explained. It is a good list.

Interesting. This perspective is on listing the distinct methods while the Kenneth Lo's list is on the actual Chinese word that describe the kind of cooking. It would be really interesting to learn.

I am not an eG authority on the subject. I think if you are quoting sentences from a particular publication, and have given all references to the original publication, to illustrate a point, that's allowed.

Check with the forum manager to be sure.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

10- Lu - Cooking meat, poultry, eggs and sometimes fish in a strong, aromatic, soy-herbal stock. This stock is an 'original stock' which becomes a 'master stock' when used again and again.

10- Lu

The "Lu" method is very common in everyday cooking. It is using the "master sauce" (Lo Shui) to braise the poultry or meat for hours.

滷水鵝掌, Braised goose feet

(Sample 1: 滷水鵝掌, Braised goose feet )

滷豆乾, 滷鴨舌, 滷鴨翅, Assorted braised varieties: pressed tofu, duck tongues, duck wings

(Sample 2: 滷豆乾, 滷鴨舌, 滷鴨翅, Assorted braised varieties: pressed tofu, duck tongues, duck wings)

卤牛肉, Braised beef

(Sample 3: 卤牛肉, Braised beef)

潮汕卤鹅, Braised Goose, a Chiu Chow specialty

(Sample 4: 潮汕卤鹅Braised Goose, a Chiu Chow specialty)

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

hzrt -- I was having computer problems, and the hard drive had to be replaced. So all my little handy things, like getting Chinese characters on a page, were wiped out. I have to figure how to get them pack on the pages, but it will have to wait a couple of days, as I will be away until sunday night, and I don't think I'll have a computer hook-up for my laptop.

Sooooooo, I'll get to "LU" when I get back.

All my bookmarked links went with the hard drive, too. And that is where I had my Chinese language links. Do you know how I get the Chinese back? Do I go to internet options?

AAARRRGGGHHHH!

All my bookmarked links went with the hard drive, too. And that is where I had my Chinese language links. Do you know how I get the Chinese back?  Do I go to internet options?

Sorry to hear that jo-mel. Hope you can have some Lu food during your trip.

I am not quite sure, I think that in Internet Explorer, you can go:

View --> Encoding --> Chinese Simplified (GB2312)

If this is the first time you use it, it will prompt you to load the font or it loads it automatically, something like that. Can't remember. Perhaps CFT can help.

Excuse us, Audience. We are having some technical difficulties, please stand by. :biggrin:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

10- Lu - Cooking meat, poultry, eggs and sometimes fish in a strong, aromatic, soy-herbal stock. This stock is an 'original stock' which becomes a 'master stock' when used again and again.

10- Lu

The "Lu" method is very common in everyday cooking. It is using the "master sauce" (Lo Shui) to braise the poultry or meat for hours.

滷水鵝掌, Braised goose feet

(Sample 1: 滷水鵝掌, Braised goose feet )

滷豆乾, 滷鴨舌, 滷鴨翅, Assorted braised varieties: pressed tofu, duck tongues, duck wings

(Sample 2: 滷豆乾, 滷鴨舌, 滷鴨翅, Assorted braised varieties: pressed tofu, duck tongues, duck wings)

卤牛肉, Braised beef

(Sample 3: 卤牛肉, Braised beef)

#10 -- Lu / Lou

"Lu" is a process of cooking food (usually meat, liver, kidney, other variety meats, poultry, and sometimes fish), in a strong, aromatic, soy-herbal stock. The stock is initially prepared by simmering meat in broth with quantities of rock sugar, soy sauce, sherry, dried tangerine peel, ginger, garlic, and five spice powder (a mixture of cinnamon, fennel, cloves, anise, and star anise). The first stock produced is called the 'original stock' and as more meats and food are simmered in it the stock assumes the name of 'master stock'.

The master stock is used again and again, and every three or four times it is used more fresh herbs have to be added and boiled in it. The herbal strength of the stock, as well as the strength of the other ingredients, can be varied according to taste or requirement.

The master stock is further enriched each time fresh materials are cooked in it; it is not only enriched but renewed. So long as the stock is used with some frequency, and its herbs strengthened and renewed, it can be used more or less forever. Some master stocks can be ranked as living antiques!

All my bookmarked links went with the hard drive, too. And that is where I had my Chinese language links. Do you know how I get the Chinese back?  Do I go to internet options?

Sorry to hear that jo-mel. Hope you can have some Lu food during your trip.

I am not quite sure, I think that in Internet Explorer, you can go:

View --> Encoding --> Chinese Simplified (GB2312)

If this is the first time you use it, it will prompt you to load the font or it loads it automatically, something like that. Can't remember. Perhaps CFT can help.

Excuse us, Audience. We are having some technical difficulties, please stand by. :biggrin:

Thanks!! Whew!

At first, the view > encoding etc, didn't work. It asked me for a disc, and I used what I thought it asked for, but it was rejected -----BUT -- then all of a sudden I was able to get characters on this page. So something was working. I still can't get them for e-mailing, tho. I will be getting a return call from the Geek Squad to help me out. And I understand that I might be able to retrieve my bookmarks from the old hard drive.

What a difference it makes seeing the real characters alongside food descriptions, instead of those blank boxes!

Thanks for being patient. I'm back in business now!

[...]

Awesome! I want some of that! I've never seen it anywhere in New York, as far as I can remember. Have you tried that, Ah Leung?

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]

Awesome! I want some of that! I've never seen it anywhere in New York, as far as I can remember. Have you tried that, Ah Leung?

Yes I sure have. They are easy to get in Hong Kong but not as easy in the USA. I am lucky enough. In Monterey Park, CA, there is a Chiu Chow restaurant on Garvey which has excellent Braised Goose and Sichuan Pepper Leave Chicken.

In Northern Cal, there is a VH Noodle House in Richmond which serves good Braised Goose and Chiu Chow fish cakes. There is one local Cantonese-Chinese restaurant whose owner is from Chiu Chow. I have some Braised Goose from them every now and then. :smile:

Braised Goose is very heavy in five spices and soy sauce.

[...]The master stock is further enriched each time fresh materials are cooked in it; it is not only enriched but renewed.  So long as the stock is used with some frequency, and its herbs strengthened and renewed, it can be used more or less forever.  Some master stocks can be ranked as living antiques!

It reminded me that it's time for me to "renew" my master sauce in the freezer! LOL... :raz:

11-   Zheng -  A  form of steaming, in this case - 'open steaming'. A bowl, plate or basin is placed on a rack in a steamer, with the boiling water some inches below.  Or steaming in multi-layered baskets with enclosed sides.

11- Zheng - A form of steaming

Steaming is a very common way to prepare day-to-day dinner entrees.

From my collection of pictorial recipes:

Steamed Ground Pork with Salted Fish (鹹魚蒸肉餅)

Steamed Pork Spareribs with Plum Sauce (梅子蒸排骨)

Steamed Shrimp with Garlic (粉絲蒜蓉蒸蝦)

Steamed Egg Custard with Conpoy (瑤柱蒸金銀蛋)

More pictures:

蒜蓉蒸扇贝, Steamed Scallops with Shells

(Sample 1: 蒜蓉蒸扇贝, Steamed Scallops with Shells)

蒸鱼, Steamed Fish

(Sample 2: 蒸鱼, Steamed Fish)

金针云耳蒸牛肉, Steamed Beef with Cloud Ear Fungi and Lily Bud

(Sample 3: 金针云耳蒸牛肉, Steamed Beef with Cloud Ear Fungi and Lily Bud)

荷香蒸排骨, Steamed Sparerib in Lotus Leave

(Sample 4: 荷香蒸排骨, Steamed Sparerib in Lotus Leave)

11-   Zheng -  A  form of steaming, in this case - 'open steaming'. A bowl, plate or basin is placed on a rack in a steamer, with the boiling water some inches below.  Or steaming in multi-layered baskets with enclosed sides.

11- Zheng - A form of steaming

Steaming is a very common way to prepare day-to-day dinner entrees.

From my collection of pictorial recipes:

Steamed Ground Pork with Salted Fish (鹹魚蒸肉餅)

Steamed Pork Spareribs with Plum Sauce (梅子蒸排骨)

Steamed Shrimp with Garlic (粉絲蒜蓉蒸蝦)

Steamed Egg Custard with Conpoy (瑤柱蒸金銀蛋)

More pictures:

蒜蓉蒸扇贝, Steamed Scallops with Shells

(Sample 1: 蒜蓉蒸扇贝, Steamed Scallops with Shells)

蒸鱼, Steamed Fish

(Sample 2: 蒸鱼, Steamed Fish)

金针云耳蒸牛肉, Steamed Beef with Cloud Ear Fungi and Lily Bud

(Sample 3: 金针云耳蒸牛肉, Steamed Beef with Cloud Ear Fungi and Lily Bud)

荷香蒸排骨, Steamed Sparerib in Lotus Leave

(Sample 4: 荷香蒸排骨, Steamed Sparerib in Lotus Leave)

#11-Zheng / Zing

'Zheng' is a form of steaming. There are two accepted forms of steaming in China: steaming in an open bowl or plate, and steaming in a closed receptacle.

'Zheng' is 'open steaming' ---- here the bowl, plate, or basin is usually placed on a wire or bamboo rack, set inside a large pot, with the water kept at a rolling bowl some inches below. Or the process can be carried out in multi-layer baskets with enclosed sides which fit on top of each other in a top-hat fashion, and which are placed on top of the rice-boiler. Thus the dishes can be cooked while the rice is being steamed or boiled.

In 'Zheng' the food to be cooked is usually pre-marinated or treated with all the necessary seasonings, garnishes and decorations before being placed in a steamer. Sometimes the food is given only a short blast of vigorous steaming. 'Zheng' is most often used when the food to be cooked does not require prolonged cooking -- indeed, a short, sharp blast of steam is one of the few ways that certain foods may be cooked in order to retain their original freshness, flavor, and juiciness. Fish, being usually tender in flesh, is most often and best cooked in this manner. Because of the prevalence of 'Zheng', we Chinese have been recognized as expert fish and seafood cooks. (Kenneth Lo)

• 2 weeks later...
12-  or Dun - Closed steaming. This is done in a container that has been sealed by foil or a lid.  Food first has a short boil followed by a rinse to clean impurities. All seasoning is done before the actual steaming begins.

12- or Dun - Closed steaming.

Typically this may be called "double boiling", or boiling within a pot of boiling water. The surround boiling water would keep the ingredients cooked at a constant temperature of 100'C. (212'F) Slow cooking.

干貝雞燉排翅, Double-boiled Shark-Fin Soup with Conpoy and Chicken

Sample 1: 干貝雞燉排翅, Double-boiled Shark-Fin Soup with Conpoy and Chicken

燕窩焦糖燉蛋, Double-boiled egg with Bird Nest

Sample 2: 燕窩焦糖燉蛋, Double-boiled egg with Bird Nest

首乌炖竹丝鸡, Double-boiled Chicken with Herbal Ingredients

(Picture is good but the link is slow)

Sample 3: 首乌炖竹丝鸡, Double-boiled Chicken with Herbal Ingredients

炖排骨, Double-boiled Spareribs