• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Open That Bottle Night (OTBN)

Peter Conway

This thread already exists in the Wine Forum, but since there seems to be a lot of fellow winos here I thought I'd start it in the New Jersey section.

Do you have a special bottle or bottles of wine in tucked away for a special occasion. I know I do. But the "occasion" never arrives and that special bottle passes its prime.

Seven years ago, Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher, the couple who write the "Tastings" column found on Fridays in the Wall St. Journal, Personal Journal, decided to create Open That Bottle Night, where the bottle itself is the occasion.

I am still thinking about what I will be opening, how about you?

Read more on OTBN here.

Edited by Peter Conway (log)

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Hey Peter...

I've had two bottles of 1988 Mouton Rothschild laid down for about 12 years and I always said I would open them in celebration when my daughter graduates college. Well, she graduates from Bennington College this June...and I guess I'm going to have to make good on this. In fact, my brother-in-law insists on it. But I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to bring myself to pop the cork on both. I';m not even sure they're ready to be drunk. Any ideas?

Ron :smile:

Hey Peter...

I've had two bottles of 1988 Mouton Rothschild laid down for about 12 years and I always said I would open them in celebration when my daughter graduates college.  Well, she graduates from Bennington College this June...and I guess I'm going to have to make good on this.  In fact, my brother-in-law insists on it.  But I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to bring myself to pop the cork on both.  I';m not even sure they're ready to be drunk.  Any ideas?

Wow, I'd love to taste that.

Here is one experts opinion.

With a phenomenal bouquet of exotic spices, coffee and intense blackcurrant, and a firm but incredibly ripe palate of great class, this Mouton clearly has few peers amongst the 1988 crop. The famous Baron Philippe de Rothschild died in January of this year, and this highly underrated wine is a fitting testament. Drink now-2020.

From

http://www.bbr.com/US/db/product/32480B/Ch...auillac?ID=null

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

It seems to me that OTBN is awfully close to Valentine's Day. Wouldn't that be sending the wrong message to that certain someone, especially if you just celebrated V-Day with a cheap red?

~ Ken

Hey Peter...

I've had two bottles of 1988 Mouton Rothschild laid down for about 12 years and I always said I would open them in celebration when my daughter graduates college.  Well, she graduates from Bennington College this June...and I guess I'm going to have to make good on this.  In fact, my brother-in-law insists on it.  But I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to bring myself to pop the cork on both.  I';m not even sure they're ready to be drunk.  Any ideas?

Wow, I'd love to taste that.

Here is one experts opinion.

With a phenomenal bouquet of exotic spices, coffee and intense blackcurrant, and a firm but incredibly ripe palate of great class, this Mouton clearly has few peers amongst the 1988 crop. The famous Baron Philippe de Rothschild died in January of this year, and this highly underrated wine is a fitting testament. Drink now-2020.

From

http://www.bbr.com/US/db/product/32480B/Ch...auillac?ID=null

Kape makes a good point about V-day, but the truth is my wife doesn't care much for red wine, preferring white 90% of the time. Go figure. But she WILL drink reds on certain occassions, especially if it's a special bottle and I romanticize the purple juice a bit. I will definitely open one of the bottle around graduation time in June...but I think I may leave the other for sometime in 2010.

RockinRonD :rolleyes:

I know what I'll open and make a celebration! I brought back a lovely bottle from Tuscany a few years back and have been holding it. Poggio all'Oro, Brunello di Montalcino, Banfi Riverva 1995. I think its screaming to be opened! Any opinion?

I know what I'll open and make a celebration! I brought back a lovely bottle from Tuscany a few years back and have been holding it. Poggio all'Oro, Brunello di Montalcino, Banfi Riverva 1995. I think its screaming to be opened! Any opinion?

I hear the screams- make the little bugger happy! 'Tis a great wine.

Were you asking what to serve with it? If so, I would take advantage of those cherry/muchroom/herbal notes with a roast loin of venison, a dried cherry demi glace (I love fresh tarragon in this sort of thing), maybe some parsnips or stuff like that in the roasting pan, and a mushroom assortment on the side.

Enjoy.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

what time and where. :biggrin:

Mindreader. :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I was thinking of some kind of roast, then decided to go Tuscan with my food, then decided the wine just needs a little cheese, a little salumi platter and a lot of swirling, smelling and sipping!