• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

13 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I guess I assumed they would not wish to reveal their source. ... I was struck by the self-confident statement on the guide to the flavors enclosed in the box:  "probably the most delicious box of chocolates you have ever eaten." They did make the New York Times list as creating one of the "10 best American small-batch, chocolate-covered salted caramels" in the USA (obviously the Times didn't sample Seattle's best ;))

I guess some people are secretive, but I feel like a source referral shouldn't be a big deal.

7 hours ago, keychris said:

For most people it's probably accurate. 99% of the population are perfectly happy eating a $2 'chocolate' bar from Cadbury or Nestle and wouldn't even think to pay the asking price that artisan products require. Anyone that's done a market has had the customers who say "I could buy X with what you're charging here!" ...

I better stop before I get into a full rant 😂

6 hours ago, Jim D. said:

How true. Just outside the city where I live is one of the largest Hershey factories in the U.S. The big excitement is that they are going to start making Reese's Cups there! I recently raised my prices to the point where they almost cover my expenses, and, as I predicted but knowledgeable customers assured me would not happen, sales have diminished.

Sad that you've seen a difference since raising prices. 

The self-confidence is definitely tricky for  a lot of artisans.  Obviously we believe in what we do enough to keep doing it, but the sales and self promotion don't always come naturally. 

So the other day I was tying ribbons around my 9 piece bonbon boxes and feeling happy with them, thinking $18 is a justifiable price.  (They've been $18 for a while, sometimes I'll do $16 in smaller towns or if I need to get rid of them.)   Then I saw that another local chocolatier is now carrying a 3rd chocolatier's bonbons, $25 for a 6 piece box!!!  Are you kidding me, $4 each for a bonbon?  3rd chocolatier always strikes me as very confident, is definitely talented and probably had more extensive training than most of us.  But still ... should I be charging way more or is that ridiculous?  It's still just candy, no matter how much time you spent studying it.  I could bump my 9 piece up to $20 ... 3rd chocolatier is outside of town so should have much lower expenses, maybe it's 2nd chocolatier's pricing?  It is hard to actually make a living ... ok, how about $25 for the 9 piece? 😂

I have some people in my life who always tell me to charge more but I do have customers occasionally ask for discounts or say it's out of budget so I'll give a discount.  Another challenge, not being able to say no 🙄.

Anyway, back to transfers, I haven't used these folks but pricing on custom doesn't seem that bad ...

https://www.americanchocolatedesigns.com/custom-transfer-sheets-1.html

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

13 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I guess I assumed they would not wish to reveal their source. ... I was struck by the self-confident statement on the guide to the flavors enclosed in the box:  "probably the most delicious box of chocolates you have ever eaten." They did make the New York Times list as creating one of the "10 best American small-batch, chocolate-covered salted caramels" in the USA (obviously the Times didn't sample Seattle's best ;))

I guess some people are secretive, but I feel like a source referral shouldn't be a big deal.

7 hours ago, keychris said:

For most people it's probably accurate. 99% of the population are perfectly happy eating a $2 'chocolate' bar from Cadbury or Nestle and wouldn't even think to pay the asking price that artisan products require. Anyone that's done a market has had the customers who say "I could buy X with what you're charging here!" ...

6 hours ago, Jim D. said:

How true. Just outside the city where I live is one of the largest Hershey factories in the U.S. The big excitement is that they are going to start making Reese's Cups there! I recently raised my prices to the point where they almost cover my expenses, and, as I predicted but knowledgeable customers assured me would not happen, sales have diminished.

The self-confidence is definitely tricky for  a lot of artisans.  Obviously we believe in what we do enough to keep doing it, but the sales and self promotion don't always come naturally. 

So the other day I was tying ribbons around my 9 piece bonbon boxes and feeling happy with them, thinking $18 is a justifiable price.  (They've been $18 for a while, sometimes I'll do $16 in smaller towns or if I need to get rid of them.)   Then I saw that another local chocolatier is now carrying a 3rd chocolatier's bonbons, $25 for a 6 piece box!!!  Are you kidding me, $4 each for a bonbon?  3rd chocolatier always strikes me as very confident, is definitely talented and probably had more extensive training than most of us.  But still ... should I be charging way more or is that ridiculous?  It's still just candy, no matter how much time you spent studying it.  I could bump my 9 piece up to $20 ... 3rd chocolatier is outside of town so should have much lower expenses, maybe it's 2nd chocolatier's pricing?  It is hard to actually make a living ... ok, how about $25 for the 9 piece? 😂

I have some people in my life who always tell me to charge more but I do have customers occasionally ask for discounts or say it's out of budget so I'll give a discount.  Another challenge, not being able to say no 🙄.

Anyway, back to transfers, I haven't used these folks but pricing on custom doesn't seem that bad ...

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

12 hours ago, Jim D. said:

6 hours ago, keychris said:

5 hours ago, Jim D. said:

So the other day I was tying ribbons around my 9 piece bonbon boxes and feeling happy with them, thinking $18 is a justifiable price.   Then I saw a that another local chocolatier is now carrying a 3rd chocolatier's bonbons, $25 for a 6 piece box!!!  Are you kidding me, $4 each for a bonbon?  3rd chocolatier always strikes me as very confident, is definitely talented and probably had more extensive training than most of us.  But still ... should I be charging way more or is that ridiculous?  It's still just candy, no matter how much time you spent studying it.  I could bump my 9 piece up to $20 ... 3rd chocolatier is outside of town so should have much lower expenses, maybe it's 2nd chocolatier's pricing?  It is hard to actually make a living ... ok, how about $25 for the 9 piece? 😂