• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle restaurants for business meetings?

I am going to a conference in Seattle next week and will be taking people out to meals quite a bit for business meetings. Any advice on the top places to go within walking distance of the convention center in downtown Seattle? Any good hotel restaurants?

Any advice would be terrific!

There's a Ruth's Chris in the Mariott that's attached to the Convention Center, it is what it is. Nice space. Two other possibilities in the immediate area of the Convention Center are Palomino (OK chain restaurant) and Geneva. It's just not a particularly inspiring area for eating unfortunately.

Probably the best hotel option is Earth and Ocean in the W hotel, a few blocks away.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Or you could walk straight down Pike to the Pike Place Market and go to Campagne, Cafe Campagne, Chez Shea, Maxmillion in the Market, Place Pigall, and others...... it's nice to get near the market if you can.

Another option 2 blocks away north (??) is the Oceanaire, not my favorite but I know other people like it

The Oceanaire is definitely THE place in the area for business-type meals. We always take our clients there, and they always love it.

Il Fornaio (the upstairs part) in Pacific Place is another restaurant nearby that's good for business meetings. Nice, with tame, chain-restaurant type "upscale" Italian food.

You should definitely check out the places in the Market that LMF mentioned, but if I were you I'd go alone or with one or two people for fun, not with a big group for a business meal.

There's a Ruth's Chris in the Mariott that's attached to the Convention Center, it is what it is.  Nice space.  Two other possibilities in the immediate area of the Convention Center are Palomino (OK chain restaurant) and Geneva.  It's just not a particularly inspiring area for eating unfortunately.

Probably the best hotel option is Earth and Ocean in the W hotel, a few blocks away.

Ruth's Chris is in the Hyatt, not quite attached to the convention center. It's just a steak house.

Most of the downtown restaurants that are raved about on this forum are reasonable walking distance, Palace Kitchen, Lola, and Dahlia for instance (and all owned by the same local company.) Union is all of 8 blocks as is the Market. Tulio's at The Vintage Park Hotel is not that far either - and you can look at the Central Library across the street. Restaurant Zoe may be a little farther, but worth the walk. If it isn't raining hard or really windy, it's almost flat and not that scary.

Edited by tsquare (log)

There's a Ruth's Chris in the Mariott that's attached to the Convention Center, it is what it is.  Nice space.  Two other possibilities in the immediate area of the Convention Center are Palomino (OK chain restaurant) and Geneva.  It's just not a particularly inspiring area for eating unfortunately.

Ruth's Chris is in the Hyatt, not quite attached to the convention center. It's just a steak house.

Yeah, one of those huge soul-less chains. :raz:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Yeah, one of those huge soul-less chains. :raz:

The hotel or the restaurant? Er. both...

Back on topic - if you want a great sandwich, Baguette Box is a slight uphill trek over the freeway to the east and a block North on Pine. You can walk by the off-leash dog park, gets some nice city views, and have truffle fries with your hearty sandwich. I had a red wine braised pork sandwich earlier this week. Great.

Most of the downtown restaurants that are raved about on this forum are reasonable walking distance, Palace Kitchen, Lola, and Dahlia for instance (and all owned by the same local company.) Union is all of 8 blocks as is the Market. Tulio's at The Vintage Park Hotel is not that far either - and you can look at the Central Library across the street. Restaurant Zoe may be a little farther, but worth the walk. If it isn't raining hard or really windy, it's almost flat and not that scary.

Brasserie Margaux is in the Warwick, just down the block from Lola. BM is now offering prime rib. We have not tried it yet, but I expect it will be quite good. Also, the chateaubriand for two carved at the table is excellent. As I understand, it is going off the menu - too bad. Order of magnitude better than Ruth's Chris or even Metropolitan Grill.

Having done LOTS and lots of business meals by the Convention Center for out of town associates I'd say - stick with Oceanaire, Palomino, Il Fornaio (upstairs), and Earth & Ocean (if they aren't tradionalists). PF Changs and Fox Sports can work out in a pinch, the food is what you would expect. If you have a big expense acct and like steak, go do Morton's Steak House. These places have something for every palate and won't make anyone uncomfortable. Those are the best, very close, bets.

Dahlia Lounge, Palace Kitchen, Etta's Seafood, Pike Place market and all its restaurants are a bit of a hike in business shoes, especially if any women present are wearing heels or insufficient outdoor wear. Although, if you want to cab it or do have time and enjoy the walk - go for it. Many excellent options were mentioned.

Baguette Box, as much as I love the truffle fries, isn't really the place for a "business lunch". It's a great place for a bunch of people who work together to go to lunch, but I sense that isn't what you are asking.

Dahlia Lounge, Palace Kitchen, Etta's Seafood, Pike Place market and all its restaurants are a bit of a hike in business shoes, especially if any women present are wearing heels or insufficient outdoor wear.  Although, if you want to cab it or do have time and enjoy the walk - go for it.  Many excellent options were mentioned.

Great topic! I go down to Seattle often on business and I find I always go to the same restaurants. I'm curious what other places would be great for business lunches in the downtown core.

I love Dahlia Lounge for both lunch and dinner, Lola's is great for clients who like casual and fun and don't mind smelling garlicy. Although a few blocks away from the convention centre, I recommend Tulio in Vintage Park Hotel. My female clients love this restaurant and the energy during lunch is vibrant but with a refined feel. Shuckers in the Fairmont (formerly Four Seasons) also works for casual business lunches & dinners.

ahh where's the button for the fries?