• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whispers or Black Trumpet

lmkennedy53

I'm going to a conference in 2 weeks and I'll be staying overnight in Spring Lake.

Since I don't know many shore restaurants, I'm not sure where to have dinner. I heard that both of these restaurants are good. (I think they are owned by the same person) I was wondering if anyone has been to either of them and preferred one to the other. I would appreciate any help!

Lori

I'm going to a conference in 2 weeks and I'll be staying overnight in Spring Lake.

Since I don't know many shore restaurants, I'm not sure where to have dinner.  I heard that both of these restaurants are good.  (I think they are owned by the same person) I was wondering if anyone has been to either of them and preferred one to the other.  I would appreciate any help!

I have never been to Whispers but I am dining at Black Trumpet on Saturday. I will let you know what I think.

Kevin

I have been to both. Although I enjoyed my dinner at both, I have not run back to either (I live up north). I would say that Whispers is a little more upscale. If I am not mistaken, they are not owned by the same people, but the chef from Whispers left and went to the Black Trumpet. Again, both dinners were good, but not as good as David Drakes.

Susan

I have been to both.  Although I enjoyed my dinner at both, I have not run back to either (I live up north).  I would say that Whispers is a little more upscale.  If I am not mistaken, they are not owned by the same people, but the chef from Whispers left and went to the Black Trumpet.  Again, both dinners were good, but not as good as David Drakes.

Thanks Susan! Some colleagues and I will be going to the Kindergarten convention next Monday in AC but we are staying overnight at the home of one of the teachers on Sun. in the Spring Lake area so we were looking for a restaurant around there. Since I don't know many really good restaurants in that part of NJ and I read where those 2 seemed pretty good, I wanted opinions about those restaurants but if you or anyone else has any other ideas, I would love to hear about them.

Lori

I have not been to any of these restaurants, but they are in the area and I have read that they are good:

Mahogany Grill, Manasquan

Brandl, Belmar

Moonstruck, Asbury Park

Brandl and Moonstruck are both excellent retaurants. I would however, put Brandl a little higher than Moonstruck.

I have not been to any of these restaurants, but they are in the area and I have read that they are good:

Mahogany Grill, Manasquan

Brandl, Belmar

Moonstruck, Asbury Park

Brandl and Moonstruck are both excellent retaurants. I would however, put Brandl a little higher than Moonstruck.

Thanks for the info.! :smile: I never heard of Brandl but I checked out their website and it looked wonderful. I've heard good things about Moonstruck and always meant to try it. Well, now I'll ask the girls which one they would like to try. At least now when I go to the shore I have some good choices instead of going to the Lobster Shanty!!! :sad:

Lori

Since I don't know many shore restaurants, I'm not sure where to have dinner.  I heard that both of these restaurants are good.  (I think they are owned by the same person) I was wondering if anyone has been to either of them and preferred one to the other.  I would appreciate any help!

I have never been to Whispers but I am dining at Black Trumpet on Saturday. I will let you know what I think.

Kevin

Went to Black Trumpet on Saturday night. My wife started with the Mesclun Salad with apples, blue cheese, walnuts and a balsamic vinaigrette which she liked very much, it had just the right balance and thr right amount of dresing. I started with the Vietnamese Spicy Lobster Roll which, while having a very fresh clean Asian flavor to it, was rather one dimensional. For the entrees my wife had the Scallops over the rock shrimp potato pancake. The scallops were a little over cooked and rubbery. I had the featured Filet with what was supposed to be gratin potatoes but were mashed and asparagus. I ordered the steak medium-rare but it came medium and overly charred on the outside. Although the potatoes were not the stated type they were very good.

The service was excellent but we would probably not go back immediately and would try other restaurants in the area (to which we are new) first.

Kevin