• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silpat vs Silicone Mats

Tweety69bird

I've been thinking that it's time to invest in some Silpats, but with those colourful 10$ silicone mats popping up all over the place, and at a fraction of the price of a Silpat, I'm wondering if I can get away with using those silicone mats for all my needs. I already do have a few of them, and I've used them to bake with fine results, but I'm thinking more towards sugar work and the like. Has anyone tried it? Opinions?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

i have both. i used my silpat for baking cookies and the other ones for my fondant and gumpaste stuff. they both work great, my silpats have taken a beating over the years and when i need to buy new ones i'm gonna just buy the cheaper silicone mats instead. :biggrin:

Cool, thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to test out one of my silicone mats by pouring some sugar on it and see what happens. I just feel that there has to be more of an explanation of the difference between the two items. It just doesn't make sense that there is such a huge difference in price.

I have some of the very inexpensive silicone mats that are sold at the "Factory Outlet" kitchen stores. The big ones that can be used for rolling pastry or fondant, or cut to fit odd-shaped pans and which I used for peanut brittle (made in the microwave) and hard toffee, so it should work fine for sugar work.

You know, you can put the silicone mat in a sheet pan and place the sheet pan on one of the extra large heating pads, turned to low, and it will keep the stuff at a workable temperature longer.

I used this when I was making some "stained glass" Christmas ornaments, holding batches of 4 different colored, clear stuff in thin sheets on the mat, so I could cut shapes and fit them together before it got too brittle. I also had a heat lamp overhead but if it is too close it is uncomfortable for me.

I was using a small, extra fine tip soldering iron to seal the pieces together and several times laid it on the silicone with no problems, no burn, no melting. If it can stand up that, you should have no problems.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Cool, thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to test out one of my silicone mats by pouring some sugar on it and see what happens. I just feel that there has to be more of an explanation of the difference between the two items. It just doesn't make sense that there is such a huge difference in price.

The only difference I have noticed is that the more expensive mats have reinforcing "threads" which, when cut, look a lot like fiberglass, which may be why they are more expensive. They are also thicker and stiffer.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The only difference I have noticed is that the more expensive mats have reinforcing "threads" which, when cut, look a lot like fiberglass, which may be why they are more expensive. They are also thicker and stiffer.

Some of them (at least Silpat is) are fiberglass and should not be cut. The fibers can end up in your food. Not a good thing at all since it is glass...

I buy the cheap ones to cut for odd size pans and save the Silpats for uses where there will be no knife in the vicinity.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I fuse the cut edges of the ones with the fibers with my kitchen torch. (I have one of the big ones that cranks out a lot of heat - certainly enough to melt the silicone - or with a high temp soldering gun, also one of the big jobs used for brazing)

Edited by andiesenji (log)

Which silicon mats are you referring to? I've never seen these.

I use a pastry board for gumpaste but I could think of a billion uses for these if they're cheaper than silpats. I assume they're oven-safe? Can you bake on them??

If you've got a Superstore nearby, you could check their baking section. They were advertising brightly-colored silicon mats for $9.99 during the holidays. Unfortunately, they never showed up at my local store. :angry:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I use a pastry board for gumpaste but I could think of a billion uses for these if they're cheaper than silpats. I assume they're oven-safe? Can you bake on them??

Yes, I've had no problems baking on the silicone mats - with the exeption that the first few times you bake, there is an odd scent that comes from the mat, but the cookies I made were perfectly fine and had no aftertaste of the smell that came from the mat. You can find them in all different colours - blue, orange, grey... with blue being the most commonly seen. I'm in Montreal, and I have seen the silicone mats (all about $10-$12) at Canadian Tire, and a local grocery store that is also selling home wares. I would think that Walmart should carry them also, but haven't checked there. Good luck finding them!!

i got my silicone mats at bed, bath & beyond, i used my 20% coupon. the salesgirl told me that alot of people have been buying them and that the only difference between the silicone vs the silpats were that the silpats are from france? or something along those lines and thats why you pay more for them.

i got my silicone mats at bed, bath & beyond, i used my 20% coupon.  the salesgirl told me that alot of people have been buying them and that the only difference between the silicone vs the silpats were that the silpats are from france? or something along those lines and thats why you pay more for them.

The Silpats are from France, but they are also thicker and sturdier. Definitely a higher quality product, which is why they cost more. However, unless you intend to totally abuse them, the other ones are fine. I have both types. The Silpats seem to insulate more, but if you are just using them for a non-stick surface, save your money and use the cheaper ones.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Just had a meeting with the importer of Demarle in SE Asia and though they do stock the generic silicone ones, she said the main complaint they've had from hotels here is that the cheap ones tend to curl up in the oven after a short period of time, but the Silpats keep going and going.

So short term, its cheap and good, long term not so good. However, if its solely for sugarwork or other stuff that won't really see much serious baking at serious temperatures, the cheap ones are fine.

In Singapore, silpats are USD$13 a piece, or SGD$22 for a 600 X 400 one. So, don't think we'll be buying the cheaper ones coz its just marginally cheaper.

Just had a meeting with the importer of Demarle in SE Asia and though they do stock the generic silicone ones, she said the main complaint they've had from hotels here is that the cheap ones tend to curl up in the oven after a short period of time, but the Silpats keep going and going.

So short term, its cheap and good, long term not so good.  However, if its solely for sugarwork or other stuff that won't really see much serious baking at serious temperatures, the cheap ones are fine.   

In Singapore, silpats are USD$13 a piece, or SGD$22 for a 600 X 400 one.  So, don't think we'll be buying the cheaper ones coz its just marginally cheaper.

I appreciate your input. Thanks!!

Oh hmm, A Patric, if that's for me, I asked Nick because I live in Singapore too. Thanks anyway.

Miladyinsanity, the wholesaler is Euraco, they are at Henderson Road, near the old HDB building at Bukit Merah. I'd suggest calling them first to see if they will sell to public. Don't see why they shouldn't, especially since I've not really seen silpats sold elsewhere.