• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The cheap vermouth aftertaste

mbanu

After a bit of thought, I've realized that the big tipping point in vermouth between a good one and an okay one is the aftertaste. There is a certain rather unpleasant aftertaste that seems to come hand in hand with cheap vermouth that probably did quite a bit towards bringing on its current unpopularity. But what's it called?

I have the feeling that if I drank more wine, I'd be able to identify the flavor correctly. Anyone able to help me out here?

I don't know about cheap, but Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth always tastes like cardboard to me. I've noticed no particular distinguishing aftertaste in cheap vermouths.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

But what's it called?

Fred?

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Wouldn't you know it, I think I answered most of my own question, thanks to the wonderful folks at Vya:

Sweet vermouth often has an unattractive aftertaste: usually tired and sometimes rubbery, mousy, flat or cooked. The unavoidable conclusion is that the base wines used are of questionable quality and stripped of vinous character before making the herb additions.