• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate raspberry birthday cake or torte in Seattle?

After decades of relying on the B&O Expresso in Seattle for their chocolate raspberry torte for major occasions, I fear I may have to look elsewhere. Several reports on a diminishment in quality and loss of their main pastry chef have me concerned.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative that could satisfy a very serious and finicky chocoholic? The only one I can think of myself is Fran's. But I haven't sampled their chocolate raspberry cake (a custom order) in 12 years.

Empress of Desserts has chocolate cake with raspberry curd as an option:

flavors

I'd second the EoD rec. Seriously good cakes. If you want to do something special, I'm sure they'd work with you.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Empress of Desserts looks interesting, and they have a tasting coming up. What is odd is that they show cake sizes, but say they charge by the number of guests. I could understand that for a caterer doing portion control, but a 3-layer, 12 inch cake is what is is, whether 20 for 40 people eat it.

Of course, I see many surprises as I look into the world of catered events. The last time I did one, they charged an hourly fee for servers and the tips were up to us. Now many just add 18% or more of the total food & beverage cost to the bill, as if this were in a restaurant with individual orders being served, rather than a buffet in my home. Depending on the cost of the food and whether the caterer is supplying liquor, this could end up costing over $40/hour per server, plus sales tax on top of that.

I've had good experiences ordering from Macrina. Here's their cake list:

http://www.macrinabakery.com/Cakes.htm

They have something that looks like it might fit your requirements:

Bittersweet Chocolate Gateau

A velvety flourless chocolate cake with swirls of raspberry. Dusted with Powdered sugar.

$25.00 (serves 10 - 12)

Empress of Desserts looks interesting, and they have a tasting coming up. What is odd is that they show cake sizes, but say they charge by the number of guests. I could understand that for a caterer doing portion control, but a 3-layer, 12 inch cake is what is is, whether 20 for 40 people eat it.

I think you're misinterpreting the information on the web page. The page that tsquare linked to pretty clearly states that a 12" round with buttercream costs $55 (serves 24-30). The other price sheet on the site is specifically for wedding cakes, which are typically price per person, as is everything else for weddings.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks for the clarification, tighe. You're right.

And thanks Laurel for the Macrina suggestion. I love a lot of what they make. I'll definitely talk to them, along with a couple of others.

Macrina's is the choice. I spoke directly with a pastry chef who was very accomodating with my special requests. We decided on custom, 4-layer chocolate sheet cake, with two raspberry and one ganache filling layers, and a chocolate butter cream frosting. All bittersweet chocolate, of course.

Fran's no longer does custom cakes, or even large ones.