• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gastro Pubs

I'm trying to compile a detailed list of what constitutes a great "Gastro Pub". Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

casual atmosphere + great food + great wines at value and splurge levels

this is the UK formula

too bad we dont see this in canada

I don't necessarily agree. We typically see much better value (and often food quality) in most of the cities of Canada, both in CFD establishments and independent bistros and brasseries. Gastro-pubs in the UK (balsamic meets the boozer) grew out of a need that was both real estate-driven and necessary: once upon a time the gulf between fine dining and accessible, reasonably-priced neighbourhood rooms was enormous. As the breweries consolidated in the 80s, recycled pubs, in their profusion and diversity (and already licensed), made perfect candidates to bridge the chasm.

It's easy to drop CDN$100+ a head in London gastro-pubs, sometimes with disappointing results. These citizens' reviews of Tom Conran's The Cow reveals the dark side:

"I completely agree with Mary. This 'famous' restaurant is vastly over-priced for what you get and the service is dire. We were able to book a table for 8 in the very small, but comfortable dining room. At least three of the main courses turned up stone cold. If the kitchen can't handle large orders, the management shouldn't allow bookings over a certain number. I ordered the T-Bone Steak (which was cold) and paid £25 for a meal that just wasn't up to scratch. The meat itself was fine. It was simply cooked badly. A number of our group felt the same way and if you are looking for a good meal at a reasonable price for a largish group of friends, avoid the Cow at all costs. I can imagine a romantic meal for two would be a different story, but do remember your wallet."

or . . .

The "head waitress" was very unpleasant, good thing that service is included in the bill! The food was good, however if you order the dinner portion of ravioli, they only give you 5. (two of mine had split open and had contained no filling) So I paid 17 pounds for 3 ravioli's and 2 flattened pieces of pasta. The scallops are amazing, the native fresh oysters are fabulous. The food is overall good, but very pricey for what you get."

But I'll be very interested to see from Andy and others some recommendations of good value gastro-pubs, and why.

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

It should at a minimum:

have a booking policy

allow children

be completely non smoking

use seasonal ingredients

concentrate on national food (eg no Thai food unless in Thailand)

offer great steaks

P.s.:

Stephen

I will be returning to Vancouver in 18 months to retire after 20 years in London. My recollection of restaurants in Vancouver was the diner/customer came first, second and third. In London the chef comes first, the waiter comes second and the customer comes third.

It should at a minimum:

have a booking policy

allow children

be completely non smoking

use seasonal ingredients

concentrate on national food (eg no Thai food unless in Thailand)

offer great steaks

phew, we've got them covered. You can still smoke in the bar but it isn't that bad actually.

I can't wait for a full ban though, it is overdue.

you don't win friends with salad