• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carrot dicer?

mikehende

I like to make my own Chinese Roast Pork Fried Rice every once in a while more as for variety purposes than anything else just so I don't get tired of the same thing from the nearby Chinese Take out Restaurant, also becuase I can add/try different ingredients this way. From the research I have done, it suggests that Chinese Take out Restaurants either dice their Carrots for their Fried Rice by "hand" or they buy "frozen" carrots, neither method is practical for me as I can't get the frozen carrots to buy in small amounts and I am not good at dicing the Carrots small enough like the restaurants do so I am looking for a "tool" that can dice the Carrots around the same size as what you get when you buy the Pork Fried Rice, I have been told that I can use a "Mandoline" to do this but when I wrote to one source that sells these, I was told that there isn't anything that will do what I want, is this true?

Or does anyone know of any other tool that can do this effectively? Thanks.

Option 1: Find a better grocery store. Mine definitely does sell regular-size bags of chopped up frozen carrots (and if they're mixed with peas, well, just separate them out).

Option 2: Buy a $30 mandoline, which will make long rods, and then chop into dice.

Option 3: Use a sharp knife.

@rxrfrx

Thanks, Option 2 looks best for me. I had purchased one of those "As seen on TV" slicers for around $25 or so and it did not work, broke into pieces the first time I tried to slice a carrot, that device was way too flimsy for any hard vegetable, do you or anyone else have any specific slicers you can recommend that will not fall to pieces when slicing carrots?

@ Gifted Gourmet

Yeah, that machine looks nice but out of my budget for now, maybe later on I'll give it a shot, thanks for the link, will keep it on file.

I had read the thread on Mandolines before posting here but I created this thread hoping to find a tool that is made "specifically" for Carrot dicing. Everything I've read both on this and other forums and other net sources suggest that there isn't a tool for this. So now I am down to getting a slicer but what concerns me is getting a sturdy reliable slicer to cut the carrots into thin long strips then I can dice them with a knife but I wish I could find someone who actually uses their mandoline for carrot slicing then I would feel more secure about purchasing the same slicer that person has.

Appreciate the referrals though, thanks!

Here's Williams-Sonoma's answer:

Okay, jgm, I know that I am buying this one and am so grateful to you for "snapping" it up to find the link! :laugh: Alligator indeed! It looks, at first glance, to be a variation on an egg slicer ...

The Alligator is so much more inexpensive than these dicers :shock:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

dicing carrots is really easy with a good sharp chef knife. First cut the carrots into manageable pieces like 1-2". Then cut a small amount off length wise to create a flat surface. Now flip the carrot on to the new flat side and repeat for all four sides. Now slice thin flat strips. Lay flat strips out, you can even layer them and cut into little sticks or julienne. Gather the match stick pieces together and cut across to make a very fine dice. With a little practice you can do this quickly with all fingers intact and have little to wash. Why pull out a madoline for one or two carrots. With better knife skills I find I use my madoline less and less unless I'm making a tub of shredded cabbage or unless I want very uniform slices.

Here's Williams-Sonoma's answer:

Okay, jgm, I know that I am buying this one and am so grateful to you for "snapping" it up to find the link! :laugh: Alligator indeed! It looks, at first glance, to be a variation on an egg slicer ...

The Alligator reminds me of the classic Veg-o-matic. Guess everything old is new again...

dicing carrots is really easy with a good sharp chef knife... 

You can see a step-by-step dicing instruction using a chef's knife (with photos) in the eGCI class on "Basic Knife Skills".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

See? I knew there had to be something for this! Thanks guys, I will try the Alligator first, if that doesn't work then I guess I will have to go after one of the other expensive ones but at least now I know that I have a few to choose from.

For dicing large amounts of carrots or similar vegetables, I do use the mandoline.

I use the 3/8 inch cutter which gives julienne strips this size, then simply gather them into bundles and cross cut with a knife to approximately the same width.

With the bron I can put three carrots side by side to cut them lengthwise, using the carrier/guard.

If I am using just a couple of carrots, I dice them with a knife.

I have a dicer similar to the Alligator that someone gave me a year or so ago. I have never used it as I simply forgot about it. I think the cutting area is a little smaller than on the Alligator.

It is in a drawer somewhere in the kitchen - I don't remember the name on it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

See? I knew there had to be something for this! Thanks guys, I will try the Alligator first, if that doesn't work then I guess I will have to go after one of the other expensive ones but at least now I know that I have a few to choose from.

I would encourage you to work on your knife skills with a really good knife. I think you'll be surprised at how fast you progress. Watch the pros on TV for pointers; notice how they hold the knife and how they rock it and feed the blade. Go very slowly at first; you'll speed up with experience, and it won't be long before you won't be interested in getting out a piece of equipment when you can just use a knife.

I use my mandoline for large batches of things, and especially when I need to slice potatoes, with uniform thickness, for a gratin or for escalloped potatoes.

That's the one I have. Someone gave it to me in a basket with other "odd" gadgets. The only one I have used is the one that unseals jar tops. The bright red thingy at top left.

The friend was trying to give me some gadgets that would put less stress on my arthritic right hand.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett