• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine drinkers 'follow their own path in life'

Gifted Gourmet

article from SF Gate

Wine drinkers are confident, savvy adventure seekers, new study commissioned by San Francisco's Wine Institute. 

Be open to new experiences

Follow their own path in life

Be confident and information-savvy consumers

Desire intangibles, experiences and emotions

Have their life priorities in order

Eschew brands as badges

Which of these describe you as a wine drinker?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

article from SF Gate
Wine drinkers are confident, savvy adventure seekers, new study commissioned by San Francisco's Wine Institute. 

Be open to new experiences

Follow their own path in life

Be confident and information-savvy consumers

Eschew brands as badges

They didn't include Lush....

okay, okay .. let's move from your personal and succinct epitaphs, Lush and Swiller, :raz: to the article itself ...

The research confirmed that wine consumers look to personal recommendations as the most prized sources of information. Trusted friends and family

Nearly 40 percent of wine consumers reported receiving wine information from publications

the value of wineries' investments in tasting rooms, visits to a winery are among the most powerful influences in a purchase decision

Do you make decisions based upon personal recommendations, publications, and/or tasting room forays?

My badge is openly and intangibly prioritized so that my emotional path follows branded adventures.

I eschew lushes, too and never drink wine at lunch (hic).

Best, Jim

Jim, it is the Zinfandel on the cornflakes for breakfast that will really get you!

Unfortunately, Melissa, the problem with us free thinkers is that we could care less and seldom take seriously any articles that describe us as free thinkers. Because, like, we're outside the box. Knocking. Looking for the latch and not finding it . . .

I would have to concur with desiring intangible experiences, which pretty much sums up eGullet and the amount of time I spend in the General Food Forum. :laugh::laugh:

I foresee a wine forum skit in our near future featuring the antics of JLush and Ben Swiller.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

48% of the respondents were men.

59% of the respondents had worn dresses

I was waiting to see the last two lines there... but alas. They didn't ask the right questions.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Do you make decisions based upon personal recommendations, publications, and/or tasting room forays?

Well, I give you points for trying . . . no, no, I don't believe in points. :blink:

Anyway, in answer to your question, I do not read any wine publications (other than Practical Winery and Vineyard), at least none that rate wine. I made the decision to cut all those out several years ago and am much happier without the incessant hype.

I do go to tastings but do not have much faith in them. I find that, since I only drink wine with food, tasting it without, in short sips and against other wines is not a very reliable way to pick dinner winners (hey, I like that . . .).

I listen to personal recommendations from those who know my palate or who enjoy the same style of wines I do but am pretty selective about trying such wines.

Most of my buying decisions are based upon a simple behavior; go to the wine store (or order from the wine store), bring it home and taste it with dinner. If I like it and it fits in the budget, buy more. If I don't, repeat the behavior.

This is a much slower process that those other ones you name but I have come to realize that it is the only one that serves me well.

And that's all the sense you're getting out of me today. :smile:

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Unfortunately, Melissa, the problem with us free thinkers is that we could care less and seldom take seriously any articles that describe us as free thinkers.  Because, like, we're outside the box. 

Of course .. now how I overlooked such a logical explanation certainly beats me :wacko: ...

Many thanks for this logic, RR! :laugh:

I buy wine based on two influences -- my own palate and the palates of trusted friends who know what I like. Other than that, I really don't give a you-know-what.

I would like to think most people end up at the same place if they drink enough wine and live long enough.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

article from SF Gate

Be open to new experiences. Seek them out and try at least a few new wines every month.

Follow their own path in life Definitely, wherever it leads me.

Be confident and information-savvy consumers Can't always be confident when you are always taking risks. Am info savy, with a great deal of scepticism and irreverence.

Desire intangibles, experiences and emotions What does this mean?? I like my experiences and emotions in tangible form, please.

Have their life priorities in order For a least a few hours every day.

Eschew brands as badges Like the plauge.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog