• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

When I went to the store today I was happy to see that they had asparagus again. They didn't have it for a couple weeks and I was afraid it was going to be one of these things that was there for a while and once you got accustomed to it he never saw it again. Our high-end grocery store usually has it all the time but at about twice the price that I have paid for this and it usually looks like it came over on the Santa Maria with Christopher Columbus. I have seen it as much as $10 for six or eight scraggly spears. The ones that I have been buying are about $4 a package for 16 nice fresh spears.

Until recently, the only asparagus available here was in the cans which, fortunately, I do like. A little known fact is that  canned asparagus is very good for your kidneys and bladder. Drinking the juice from the can can ward off a mild bladder infection.

I have never seen white asparagus here, canned or fresh.

20240616_113103.thumb.jpg.2fe6e92a18f28de7f57ab9fb37cee407.jpg

My weekly purchase of vegetables here. Not shown: a quarter of a watermelon and a package of fingerling bananas.

When I went to the store today I was happy to see that they had asparagus again. They didn't have it for a couple weeks and I was afraid it was going to be one of these things that was there for a while and once you got accustomed to it he never saw it again. Our high-end grocery store usually has it all the time but at about twice the price that I have paid for this and it usually looks like it came over on the Santa Maria with Christopher Columbus. I have seen it as much as $10 for six or eight scraggly spears. The ones that I have been buying are about $4 a package for 16 nice fresh spears.

Until recently, the only asparagus available here was in the cans which, fortunately, I do like. A little known fact is that  canned asparagus is very good for your kidneys and bladder. Drinking the juice from the can can ward off a mild bladder infection.

I have never seen white asparagus here, canned or fresh.