• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: New Years Day

jrufusj

NEW YEARS DAY - Home in Tokyo (1/1/2006)

With slow-cooked pork shoulder, apple-onion-vinegar sauce, black-eyed peas with fatty pork, cabbage and onions, and cornbread.

• 2002 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    Light yellow and fresh looking. Nose is initially closed and just a little reduced, but doesn’t take long to open up to show lovely slate sprinkled with fresh lemon juice. It only takes a few moments more for the cherry to arrive. Once it does, it’s always there, but bits of mineral and flower and limey citrus come and go to keep things interesting. On the second day the cherry is still there at the core, but the other elements have picked up in intensity. On the palate, this combines a luscious salty sweetness with lively enough acidity that this is a pleasure to drink alone or with food. Berry, cherry, and the lightest honeyed apple combine with more mineral to make up a deliciously primary palate that does not sag a bit from entry through the middle to a lovely long finish. Warning!!! Keep your hands off of this. It’s all primary now and needs loads of time, but it’s just so beautifully delicious that one will find it very hard to let the rest of one's bottles sit.

I grew up in the deep southern US and I've lived in Asia for the last six years. Every time I can't figure out what to drink, it seems like something Alsatian, German or Austrian comes to the rescue. Also works for southern-style New Year's dinner.

Posted from CellarTracker

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.