• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Choc-lat-i-air or Chocolat-eer

danlepard

Just a quick survey...the word chocolatier, how do you prefer to pronouce it?

choc-lat-i-air or chocolat-eer. In the UK at the moment there is a chocolate manufacturer that talks about their chocolateers, much like mouseketeers. Have I missed something?

Dan

Just a quick survey...the word chocolatier, how do you prefer to pronouce it?

choc-lat-i-air or chocolat-eer. In the UK at the moment there is a chocolate manufacturer that talks about their chocolateers, much like mouseketeers. Have I missed something?

Dan

When I've learned french at school, we've spent at least one month at the beggingin of every year with the "sounds" of the french language. The "oi" for "uá" was the highlight.

As for the word "chocolatier" ... you should pronounce it chô-cô-lá-ti-ê. No "air" at the end, the "r" shouldn´t be eard at all.

Both the "o" on "cho" and "co" are pronounced almost like "oh". The "a" in "la" is open, as well as the "i" in "ti". The "er" should be read without pronouncing the "r".

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Oh God :blink:

No R must be eard

Maybe some french natives could help us here

As an example, for those of you who might be familiar with the ballet "positions", the word chocolatier is pronounced like the word "plier", which is the gesture you make when you fold your legs starting for the 2nd position.

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

Perhaps americanized it's pronounced, 'choc-La-teer' and the french pronounciation is the pretty one like filipe so aptly spelled out for us.

And Filipe, the 'ti' is like the do re me fa so la ti type tea, right?

shoh coh lah tee ay

Is the emphasis on the shoc oh lah TEE ay or the SHOC-oh lah tee ay???

I LOVE doing the pronunciations of stuff because for the most part until food tv, I've only read the words, never or rarely heard them.

And Filipe, the 'ti' is like the do re me fa so la ti type tea, right?

shoh coh lah tee ay

Is the emphasis on the shoc oh lah TEE ay or the SHOC-oh lah tee ay???

Exactly, the "ti" is like the musical note (Julie Andrews won't be more precise)

About the "ay"... well you should just pronounce it like you pronouce the "ai" in the french word "maison" (house) or like in "André" or "Chez" moi..chez toi...

you can have all those spellings for the same sound : er, ez, ai ....

Filipe A S

In English, we say <<chok.la.TEER>> like mouse.ka.TEER, but in French there isn't a significant emphasis on any syllable in pronunciation of the word. It's more like <<show.ko.la.tiay>> .

That's my deux centimes.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I'm in filipe's camp with the pronunciation. My french teacher would, I fear, have a seizure at hearing "choclateer". Ooo la la.

This all reminds me of the discussion in the movie "Apocalypse Now" where one of the men on the boat is chef and he is determined that after the war, he would return to New Orleans and becomes a "Sauce-eay". (A chef specializing in sauces.) For me, this whole discussion is one of the more memorable moments of the movie. Too bad he didn't last until the end....

I guess chocolatier is pronounced similar...

Interestingly enough, I groan everytime I see Apocalypse Now and Chef tells the story about how the military got these beautiful ribeye steaks and then proceeded to boil them and they all came up grey....

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/