• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philly's Most Expensive Cheesesteak

Daniel

This is not something I am proud of.. But I am now curious if I hold the title for eating the most overpriced Cheese Steak in Philly.. Obvioulsy, I need to defend the circumstances in which the Cheese Steak was ordered.. I was pretty much dead drunk.. It was 4 am. room service has a cheese steak that they will deliver 24 hours a day, Me, with a bottle of champagne in one hand and a cheese steak in another, had little knowledge that I was creating the recipe for the world's worste hangover.. Throw in a multi-course Japanese tasting menu eaten 3 hours earlier and I am happy to be hear re-telling this tale..

Here is the menu.. 18.50 For a cheesesteak.. Granted this is just the beginning, when it was all said and done.. The final bill was 30 bucks with delivery and service charges..

gallery_15057_2187_672363.jpg

Here is the Cheese Steak.. It was actually really good.. One big problem, I was unable to get Whiz.. I got Provolone and American just to double cheese the thing.. No mushrooms or peppers.. The steak itself was fantastic..Juicy, meaty, tasted of fried onions and a hint of fried peppers.. I would say it was easily better then the average steak.. But the bread wasnt to my liking..

Also this camera time is obviously wrong on this camera..

gallery_15057_2187_1023217.jpg

So besides reporting about it, I am also asking has the expensive fois gras or truffle cheese steak hit Philly.. I would be surprised if the expensive burger craze had no effect on the Cheese Steak..

Edited by Daniel (log)

well, there's the $100 kobe cheesesteak that they serve at barclay prime. but as far as just the most expensive steak that is just a steak and isn't served with lobster and a split of veuve in an expense-account setting, you might indeed be the winner.

For Four Seasons room service, that's a reasonable price - $6 for the steak and $11 for the trek to your room. And cheaper that a round trip cab fare to Geno's or Pat's.

Considering your admitted condition, congrats on the sharpness of the image.

The fries - they look frozen, which would be disappointing for the Four Seasons?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

The fries certainly were out of the freezer.. They were under cooked and disappointing.. The key to photographing drunk is to take many pictures.. One is bound to be decent :biggrin:.. They were a couple of other events that were really disappointing about the Four Seasons.. One being a security gaurd came into the room at 5 am unannounced to turn down the volume of the television.. The guy just barged into the room with out a knock or call or identifying himself...I was sleeping and my girl was half dressed.. It turns out after speaking to the head of security the following morning, a guest made a complaint.. The guest had his radio on in the room and thought it was someone next doors television.. Unbelievable.. I spoke with the manager and they were less then helpful.. I am waiting for the head managers call this afternoon..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I always do.. I let my defenses down when I got the cheese steak.. The server let himself out and I must have been to involved in the sangwich.. A mistake I will not soon make again.. So clearly it was the cheese steaks fault.. :biggrin:

I'm amazed the manager on duty at the Four Seasons did not handle the matter better.

Were you complaining about the undercooked frozen fries or the visit by the security guard? :smile: Either should cost them a star/diamond.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

HAHA.. Thats funny, I think we are some of the few who really are interested in the Fries at the Four Season.. But honestly speaking, they were a huge let down and I took notice..

To keep you updated on the situation.. The hotel manager basically called my at work and told me I was lieing.. So now I get to speak with the next guy on the buerocratic ladder tomorrow..

Edited by Daniel (log)

HAHA.. Thats funny, I think we are some of the few who really are interested in the Fries at the Four Season.. But honestly speaking, they were a huge let down and I took notice..

To keep you updated on the situation.. The hotel manager basically called my at work and told me I was lieing..  So now I get to speak with the next guy on the buerocratic ladder tomorrow..

And then did he say "You're not the boss of me?" :rolleyes:

Next visit stay at the Westin. Good room service food and Heavenly Beds :wink:

To keep you updated on the situation.. The hotel manager basically called my at work and told me I was lieing..  So now I get to speak with the next guy on the buerocratic ladder tomorrow..

Oh My Gawd Daniel! :shock: So they said you were lying? Again, in the same vein as Holly Moore did they think you were lying about the fries or the indiscreet security guard? :rolleyes:

A similar thing happened to me at a hotel in Miami. But at least your girlfriend had you. I was alone, late at night in a hotel in Miami. BTW, our organization had a large meeting being held at the hotel, spending thousands of dollars. Ironically, I was watching a Dateline program entitled "The Murder of Misty Moore." I thought I heard a noise, but dismissed it until I saw the feet and legs of a man stepping into my room. Demonstrating a complete inability to scream, I managed to say "uh, what are you doing here!?" I think the poor fellow was as stunned as I was and explained, with apology, that he had been told to come to my room to adjust the air conditioning. Of course, like you, I failed to secure the in-room lock on my door. Well this hotel was pretty nice and pretty old school in their customer service, didn't accuse me of lying, treated me to lunch and comped me a free night since I had already decided, before this incident, to stay a couple of days after the conference. The hotel is the Deauville and really know how to treat you.

Keep us posted.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I am not quite suprised, the 4 seasons in philadelphia is overpriced. It rested on its laurels a long time ago after Lacroix left. JML would never allow frozen fries.

That's the interesting thing about those who care and those who just say they care.

What's the point of Martin hamman and david Jansen talking about how carefully herbs are picked and salads are washed if you cant get a goddamn mandoline and cut some fries ?

Bouchon serves hand cut fries, forget about Keller..even LOIE serves hand cut fries.

I am not quite suprised, the 4 seasons in philadelphia is overpriced. It rested on its laurels a long time ago after Lacroix left. JML would never allow frozen fries.

That's the interesting thing about those who care and those who just say they care.

What's the point of Martin hamman and david Jansen talking about how carefully herbs are picked and salads are washed if you cant get a goddamn mandoline and cut some fries ?

Bouchon serves hand cut fries, forget about Keller..even LOIE serves hand cut fries.

That's a good point. A whole lot of "lesser" establishments in this town manage to have real french fries. What's so hard about that??

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

katie..... herein lies the problem with working in HOTEL restaurants.

The Fine dining guys.....

FOUNTAIN

LACROIX

put so much energy into making sure the food is the "best".

luxe ingredients, fancy plates.

but they dont have such lattitude on the casual side....

SWAN LOUNGE

BOAT HOUSE ROW

using general Sysco crap and miscellaneous foodservice "BS".

Sublimated to the reason why ?

the answer is the 4 word phrase every chef dreads hearing....

Take a guess ?

"Food and Beverage Manager"

Nice posting of the menu by the way daniel.

the filet and crabmeat sounds like something you would order in deep south philly, whats going on over there at the 4 seasons ?

My biggest pet peeve in the world..."Boursin Cheese"

Boursin is cheese as much as Whiz is cheese, nothing wrong with it but it just aint cheese.

I guess you can tell i didnt sleep too well last night.

Edited by Vadouvan (log)

The fries certainly were out of the freezer.. They were under cooked and disappointing..  . I spoke with the manager and they were less then helpful.. I am waiting for the head managers call this afternoon..

I am surprised at your problems with security. It is a good thing nobody complained about my parrot the last time I stayed there or they might have sent security in to throttle him :blink:

I am not surprised the fries were frozen. Even when Jean-Marie Lacroix was in charge he made a point of using much less expensive ingredients for room service, the Swan, and the banquet line relative to The Fountain. Don't expect "Fountain" level food from room service.

Maybe you should stay at the Rittenhouse next time? If so you can see whether Jeans-Marie uses fresh cut fries for room service.

Edited by R Washburn (log)

Maybe I am missing the point but it was 4 am. Isn't it kind of acceptable logistically to not have a fresh fry policy at that hour? I mean, at 4 am I suspect most people ordering are drunk and not picky palates at that hour. I will also go as far as to say that non-picky palates like the frozen variety better.

For all I know they woke some guy up to make Daniel's fries!

Maybe I am too forgiving........

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

The Four Seasons Philadelphia is considered a world class hotel and has received five diamonds from AAA. At such hotels the same detail and pursuit of excellence is paid to room service no matter what the hour. And that should include fresh cut french fries.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Maybe I am missing the point but it was 4 am. Isn't it kind of acceptable logistically to not have a fresh fry policy at that hour? I mean, at 4 am I suspect most people ordering are drunk and not picky palates at that hour. I will also go as far as to say that non-picky palates like the frozen variety better.

Evan

Also please understand that plate was 30 dollars when it was all said and done.. They certainly dont cheapen the prices at 4 am.. I wish they did :biggrin:

Evan

A four star hotel, or a place that bills itself (both literally price-wise and figuratively) as such should not be serving sub-par institutional frozen fries that the dive bar down the street and the state penitentiary are also serving. It's just wrong on too many levels. Especially for $30 bucks a plate with a cheesesteak at the FOUR SEASONS.

And while you may or may not be right about the state of sobriety of people who generally order room service at 4AM, clearly Daniel was still able to keep his palate at that late hour. And hey - some folks may get in after a delayed flight or whatever and be so exhausted and out of other options that room service is their only option. They might not be drunk (but might be happier if they were). :biggrin:

If you're going to provide room service at all then it needs to be done right. I'd bet a sizeable chunk of change that there's some low level line cook watching a portable TV down in the kitchen at 4AM, and not someone that's "on call" and needs to be woken up. If there's trained professional staff in the kitchen (who's probably making a pretty high dollar/hour rate to take the graveyard room service shift and deal with all the divas and jackasses that call with ridiculous requests at ungodly hours of the morning) then it just needs to be done with the seriousness that a place of that reputation and prices implies.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Daniel,

I have ordered room service in the middle of the night from other Four Season hotels around the world and always had good service and good quality ingredients. Sorry to hear about your experience in our fair city. I would go to their website and complain, they are usually very good, especially to repeat customers (they maintain a database on every guest's preferences and complaints).

Make sure you post your Morimoto experience here.

Percyn,

Have you ever gotten the fries in any of there Hotels? I am curious if they are all like this..

Just an update:

The GM called me and said "Mr. _____ this is the GM Harry _____.. The Four Season's doesnt argue with its guests, I dont argue with the guests, I am sorry this happened there will be no charge" The guy was the first professional I encountered in the management. The staff, besides the security guard was wonderful and my faith has been restored in a terrific Brand..