• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

12 grapes

Daniel

One of the most important events of my life was going to Spain for Xmas/New Years in the Second Grade.. My family spent the entire time with the family of my exchange student.. They owned a few restaurants and really got me in to food.. The 12 grapes at New Years especially stands out.. With each chime of the clock, a grape was to be eaten.. Representing sweetness, prosperity, and every thing good for the next year..

I want to do something like that for this New Year.. I have a some time to prepare for New Years.. I was thinking 12 different grapes in marinades.. Or a shot at the New Year that consists of 12 grapes.. I just think the 12 grapes are important.. Whats the best way to serve them to each guest...Lets start a new tradition here..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Lovely idea, Daniel. I'd never heard of that, but it sounds charming and meaningful.

Our New Year's Day custom is that each person at the table takes a spoonful of black-eyed peas from the dish, we all hold hands as we have the Blessing, and then each person slowly and solemnly puts one pea onto the plate of each other person. It's a little sharing ceremony that we've been doing since way before Chris was part of our family---when the children were little, each would carefully coax a pea onto his spoon, then gravely offer it to the next person in turn, all around the table, til we all had shared our wealth and health and all the joys and travails of being a big loving family.

And sometimes, when we have extra visitors on Christmas Eve for our customary Pinto-Beans-and-Cornbread supper, we also swap beans, just for the idea of sharing, though the custom is not quite so enchanting.

And perhaps my clock chimes faster than your own, but I smile at the idea of people in costume or formal dress, downing all those grapes in rapid succession. Brings back a lovely memory of a day at the Zoo; after our lawn picnic, we strolled with some of the leftovers in a big net market bag. One of the most delightful experiences of my life was sitting on the grass, holding grape after grape on my outstretched palm, as a peacock in full regalia swallowed them one by one in the Summer sunlight.

And I repeat: Lovely idea. Please keep us up-to-date on the plans and the feat.

Of course you get it Rachel :wub:

I find what you and your family share is far more beautiful then anything I could do.. I am sure people with less emotional knowledge could tell us the purpose behind this.. But you know what this means to you.. Now days it means you trust the person next to you doesnt have the cooties or something.. But the symbolism of sharing food off your plate, or the shirt off your back, means a lot more then the actual act of sharing the food .. But the tradition and all the love still remains..

By you telling me this, I am no longer held to just grapes.. :biggrin:

Edited by Daniel (log)

I got to thinking you might have one of every color---that should take up at least six or eight, if you include Concords, "muskydines," etc. And you could freeze a couple, do a sugar-gilding of one, do Miss Marthy's cheese coating for another---maybe stuff one of the larger ones. That should account for a dozen, and you could give a meaning for each---I'm good at making up "old" stories if you need help.

And with your plating and garnish wizardry---that would be a knockout. Outa da park.

I think I am really liking the drink idea.. Could someone summarize the year in a shot.. 6 people 72 grapes, and whatever else you would find appropriate...

Two snifters each of Graham's Six Grapes port will add up and do duty if pressed (pun intended) to do so.

Add some regular grapes and some good stinky cheese and it sounds like a good evening's entertainment to me. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

geee

All I was ever served was 12 grapes in a baggie, although I was just thinking that a skewer might be nice.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

As everyone that has ever tried that can tell you, you have to stuff fast. The best is to have your lover put them into your mouth as you fill his.

But still....it's fast. And frankly, more funny than romantic. Think 'Lucy & Ethel at the Chocolate Factory.'

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Quarter some red flame grapes and steep them in icewine, or Beaumes de Venise, or something like that, overnight, possibly with a star anise or two if you want to be really trendy. Put a big spoonful of them into each glass, then fill with cava, or a sparkling dry rose would be lovely. Toast at midnight.

...you could freeze a couple, do a sugar-gilding of one, do Miss Marthy's cheese coating for another---maybe stuff one of the larger ones. 

Love this idea, and Katie's as well...that would take care of 6, then you could eat the others!

I've never done the 12 grapes, but knew exactly what it was when I saw the title of your thread. Love the idea--maybe it will catch on over here.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

We ate the grapes at Midnight. But only a dozen---Chris and I shared each one, in a touching-but-ultimately-hilarious little ceremony all our own, with everyone else in the family off on their own celebrations.

The three of us at home dressed for dinner, had a lovely meal with Duke Ellington on CD setting the mood, then DD went her own way for the evening. We two watched TV, then a tape of "Hitch"---just the goofy, romantic movie for a nice evening.

Then, at about 11:30, I got fourteen big red seedless grapes from their bowl in the fridge (raisins rouge sans pepins, it says on the label). Two went cold into our chilled crystal glasses, the other twelve into a pretty little white lotus bowl. I related the custom, telling of Daniel's first encounter with it in Spain, and we said a dozen wishes/virtues, one for each piece of fruit, just before midnight. Then we stood together, watching the big gaudy ball drop as he filled our glasses.

The two submerged grapes floated and fizzed, riding the currents of bubbles up and down the tides of the champagne, in a lovely New Year's dance of their own. We sipped a toast, then he held the bowl and as our old arthritic clock began to chime, he bit half of each grape, handing the other piece to me.

At first I accepted each piece gravely and solemnly, befitting a solemn rite, a sweet form of communion to welcome the new year. Then the chimes got away from us, and we were reaching and biting and holding, with the juice running down our chins and seeping between our fingers. We were laughing and chewing and finally holding on to each other as we finished the bowl, full of good wishes and hopes for wonderful things and moments and times together as the New Year progresses.

Thank you Daniel. :wub: This will become a family custom, including all who are present on New Years to come. We did not name Luck for one of the grapes. That's for tonight, when we will share the peas.