• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Supplies

jogoode

Hi All,

Where do you guys go to get your cocktail supplies? Can I get bitters, flavored syrups (preferably Monin brand), and jiggers in one place?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Go to Chelsea Market. You can get the flavored syrups ar Buon Italia and you can get jiggers, Hawthorne & julep strainers, mixing cups, pint glasses, stirring spoons, muddlers (albeit not very good ones), etc. at the "Bowery" store also in Chelsea Market. For fancier and antique barware, eBay is your friend.

WRT bitters, you can get Angostura bitters anywhere. Peychaud's and Gary's Orange Bitters you can buy from Audrey at Pegu Club. Fee Brothers, I'm not sure where you can buy that at retail in NYC. The other bitters you may read about in these forums (Stoughtons, Abbot's, Hess House, etc.)... most of them aren't for sale. You have to know someone.

--

WRT bitters, you can get Angostura bitters anywhere. 

Any supermarket?

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Go to Chelsea Market.  You can get the flavored syrups ar Buon Italia...

No dice. I could only find a few syrups there: orange, almond, and a couple others. I'm looking for ginger and apple.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Go to Chelsea Market.  You can get the flavored syrups ar Buon Italia...

No dice. I could only find a few syrups there: orange, almond, and a couple others. I'm looking for ginger and apple.

Apple syrup?! Feh!

Anyway... try Zabar's. You can likely get jiggers and whatnot upstairs, and they heve plenty of syrups downstairs.

For ginger syrup, I think you're better off making it for yourself to order.

The only bought syrup I think is really worth having is oregat.

--

Fee Brothers, I'm not sure where you can buy that at retail in NYC.

Went on a hunt for them a few months back and tracked them down through their distributor. Only one place for Fee Brothers in NYC, LeNell's. It's a bit of a trek to get out to Red Hook but totally worth it. LeNell has the most amazing selection of bourbons and other artisanal liquors. She's also the most knowledgeable person on all things alcohol.

I'll post the next time I go out there if anyone wants me to pick up some bitters for them.

• 3 years later...

Just to update an old thread for informational purposes: LeNell's is (temporarily?) defunct, but you can find Fee Brothers bitters at Kalustyan on Lexington near 28th or at Spuyten Duyvil Grocery in the Williamsburg mini-mall off of Bedford Ave.

• 2 months later...

Just to update an old thread for informational purposes: LeNell's is (temporarily?) defunct, but you can find Fee Brothers bitters at Kalustyan on Lexington near 28th or at Spuyten Duyvil Grocery in the Williamsburg mini-mall off of Bedford Ave.

to support the kalustyan report

Kalustyan's carries Fee Brother's bitters, regan's orange and peychaud's.

• 8 months later...