• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How can someone break into the restaurant industry

cchen

Right now for me, I'm focusing more on learning more about restaurant operations.

Then before I and my many supporters run out of breath, and for the Love of God, GO GET AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB IN A RESTAURANT!!!

I have no doubt it will not seem nearly as glamourous once you've actually put in the time.

Unfortunately, the reason the failure rate is as high as it is, is that everyone that likes to eat thinks they can do it. Much like Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland and Company singing "Let's Put on a Show!!!", every clown that ever sat down in front of a paid-for entree thinks they can own a restaurant.

Think of every single expense you think is a fixed monthly expense, and I promise you I can make your list thrice as long without breaking stride.

Think of every single expense you think is a variable monthly expense and I promise you on all that is holy I can think of variables that never hit your radar screen.

Do I need to go on??

I'm truly not trying to piss in your Wheaties here. I just think that given what you've told us, there's a lot of room for you to learn what's really up. Do you really believe that any of the people you wish to emulate just accidentally fell into the business? Or showed up one day with an impressive academic resume and nothing more and ended up being brilliant restaurateurs?? Just because there are folks willing to bankroll you that think you're a smart guy (and I have no doubt you are) doesn't mean you won't lose their money without meaning to. It isn't predictable, predetermined or pretty. It just iz. And it's so much harder, and more importantly, vastly more expensive, than you think.

It don't work like that. Ask anybody.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have not commented on this until now due to the fact that I am not a pro. I do though know many peolpe on all ends of the industry from health inspectors, investors, all the way down to dishwashers and there is nothing like experience (honestly I think this applies to all aspects of life but that is another topic for another place). I truly do not think you can have a true understanding of the rest. business unless you have some fundamental understanding of all the aspects of it and I realy see no better way of doing that then getting your ass in the weeds for a lttle bit. To put it in crass terms it is the difference between "street smart" and "book smart" and with out the combination of the two I realy do not think one can succeed.

And as people say, "you can't manage it unless you've done it"

I don't care how mindless the job is.

Back when a McDonald's franchise was considered a license to print money, the company required every franchisee to have $600K cash accessible -- real money, not stocks, not equity. They had to work in the business, under a manager, for something like 6 months learning to run the shake machines, fry the fries, open/close/clean, take care of the drive-through. I'm sure the personal stakes are higher, and I'm sure the work requirement is the same. And I think you can probably double that

I know few CEOs who would actually give money to someone to run with a great idea and no experience in implementing it.

Please don't discount what is being advised here. And do look outside your immediate circle of support. Professors, business owners (successful AND failed). Call a headhunter who works with VC firms and ask her or him. People love to mentor other people, and you'll make some good contacts in the process.

As one who's been where you are (and nearly lost her Manolos over that same attitude), I can say that no one is trying to rain on your parade. Please listen.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I've pitched my restaurant and bakery ideas to the parents of some of my classmates (CEO level people) and they are very interested. My father, an HBS grad, is also well connected within the VC industry.

A restaurant and bakery idea....what a novel concept! Sorry to be a SA, but the basics of the industry are simple.

Lowest Possible Costs + Highest Possible Volume = $$$$

The "Passion for Food" angle generally leads to one-off restaurants that may or may not last 6 months. The big money in the industry comes from Fast-Food, Fast Casual and the like. A typical Applebee's makes more money per square foot that Per Se or ADNY...it's just the way it is. So from a business perspective the less fashionable operations are the better option for the maximum ROI. This is what a true VC would be looking for....