• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My Waffles Stick to the Waffle Iron

Soup

I guess i have two question.

My krup's belgian waffle maker is sticking. I guess the non-stick surface only goes so far.

How can I get the waffle's not to stick (I apply oil liberally and heat to smoking before adding the batter)? Or, should I start looking for another waffle iron?

Any recommendation on either the sticking problem or a new waffle iron? To be honest, I didn't like the krup because it was really difficult to clean. You really need "surgical tools" to get into all the slots and hinges.

two words of wisdom, I'm sure you know the first ... get the iron really hot and first waffle might stick, but subsequent ones should not. Secondly, the best waffle iron I have ever encountered is my mom's first good electric appliances from the early sixties or something ... it has become the heirloom we are going to fight over.

Not really tested, but I have seen the stovetop waffle irons work well at other people's houses ... let us know what happens!

I usually spray mine with a little PAM, or Waffle Off. Even though mine is non stick, I find I need to spray it still.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Also, don't try to open the waffle iron until you're pretty sure the waffle is done. Once the waffle browns, it should release. I generally assume the first waffle is sacrificial.

I've had the experience of splitting a waffle in two because I checked it too soon.

I use a well-seasoned cast-iron waffle iron that works on a gas burner--I still lightly oil it for the first couple of waffles.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

I usually spray mine with a little PAM, or Waffle Off.  Even though mine is non stick, I find I need to spray it still.

I agree with Marlene. Pam is the way to go.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Something's wrong with your "nonstick."

I've never had to oil, butter or spray any of my Teflon and Teflon-like waffle irons. Nor do they require any cleaning (except for the wet rag to clean up the occasional batter overflow.

Now, my stovetop cast iron waffle iron is a totally different story. I always have to oil it. However, I don't have to clean it, other than to brush any crumbs off of it when it finally cools down.

Also, I second the above advice about never peeking. Even if it doesn't split, the waffle will never brown right.

Good luck.

Thanks for the comments.

On the batter, I add oil. I also get the iron hottest possible then add oil and heat again until I see whisp of smoke. I then add the batter. But the first two are like "pulling teeth". On the third and subsequent ones, it comes out easier. I'm assuming that the non-stick is pretty much gone at this point since I need to liberally oil.

So I could go either way. I could continue to stick with this one or get a new iron. I don't really want the ones that you manually use over the gas stove. Too much for me in the morning.

Which waffle irons are good? Ease of cleaning being a huge consideration (other than it making great waffles).

soup

I have a villaware and it's remarkably easy to clean. I'm considering getting a flip one though because I think it distributes the batter better and more evenly cooks.

Mine is almost new, so it's not a matter of the non stick wearing out. It just is. Spray a little Pam and keep the one you've got!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.