• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Professor Loses Weight With No-Diet Diet

Pan

[...]Hawks calls his plan "intuitive eating" and thinks the rest of the country would be better off if people stopped counting calories, started paying attention to hunger pangs and ate whatever they wanted.[...]

There is a catch to this no-diet diet, however: Intuitive eaters only eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full.[...]

Read the rest here. And if that Yahoo! link dies, look on AP, as this is an Associated Press story.

Michael aka "Pan"

I like it. The obvious is that some are better than others at being intuitive eaters. I am pretty much an intuitive eater; however, sometimes I am better at remaining that way than at other times. There are the nights like last night... We had planned a five course meal and I would eat every course no matter how full I got. :smile: Usually though, except for the planned indulgences, if I trust my hunger and cravings my weight would remain where I want it.

If for some reason I go for a couple of days without green vegetables, I crave them and just have to have them, as much as when I just have to have chocolate sometimes. I'm like this with just about all food categories. I think I eat such a balanced diet because my body lets me know when it's out of balance.

My "problem" is that we eat and drink indulgently every weekend, and I'm not as faithful to my workouts as I am faithful to weekend overeating.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Yeah, this shouldn't be surprising at all. It's pretty much what all the less radical diets (such as the Weight Watchers point system) is based on---regulating portion size so you don't eat more calories than you burn.

I thought that this had a distinctively familiar ring to it .. during a thread in July of 2004, I wound up buying the book from Amazon for my library ...the details are here and the Amazon book is here.

I read the book .. did it help? Sure, for the first few weeks ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

So he's just willing himself to eat less? Sounds like the ice cream diet, or the potato chip diet, or some other silly fad. Sure, if you eat fewer calories than you burn, it doesn't matter what you eat. But "intuitive"? Just a lark, IMHO. And what happened to the health implications? Looks like this "professor" did not touch on those...

Edited by menton1 (log)