• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover semi-glazed root veggies

Placebo

I made a huge quantity of mixed root veggies (parships, turnips, rutabagas and golden beets) for the Thanksgiving dinner I went to. The aim was to glaze them but I was in a hurry and running out of pan space so they are more simply braised and sweetened with maple syrup and honey. Turns out that despite the hostesses suggestion of a starch there were already 2 stuffings and mashed potatoes en route and on the whole about 2-3 times more food than we needed. So, I have a huge mass of these guys in my fridge and it's be a shame to let them go to waste.

So, what do I do with them? Ideas I've had so far are:

- Simply mashing them with some cooked garlic as a side dish.

- Mashing them and making galettes upon which I would serve... something?

- A topping for some sort of shepherd's pie type dish.

Any other ideas or suggested accompaniments to the above?

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

Put 'em whole (diced, I assume) into a galette, as I did here. Brush the bottom of the galette with whole grain mustard, pile in the veggies, pleat and bake. Sprinkle some Stilton or another strong cheese over the top during the last 5-10 minutes of baking.

Put 'em whole (diced, I assume) into a galette, as I did here.  Brush the bottom of the galette with whole grain mustard, pile in the veggies, pleat and bake.  Sprinkle some Stilton or another strong cheese over the top during the last 5-10 minutes of baking.

Abra, that sounds wonderful! Great idea!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”