• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2005 vintage in Tokaji and Arad

Andre

Vintage update: Tokaji, Hungaria; Romania

The rainy weather at the end of the European summer did little to allow the proper ripening of the grapes in many eras in Europe.

The massive rains around the area of Arad, Romania resulted in very poor quality grapes mostly doomed to represent the cheap plonk that had been flowing from this country for the last thirty years.

Waiting until nearly early November in Tokaji, Hungary, did little to show the slightest hints of Botrytis attacking the local Furmint, Harslevelu or Yellow Muscat. Although rain had subsided in October, the conditions were far from optimal for the Noble Rot.

This may pause a problem as the last fine vintage of Tokaji was 1999.

Friends returning from North-Western Italy namely the Barolo villages informed me of heavy rains during October in the vine areas as well.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.