• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best places for dessert?

What can I say, I have a big sweet tooth. Recommendations for delicious dessert sit-down places or good bakeries would be much appreciated. :)

Could you tell us where you are interested in, stephietoronto?

Edited by lamington (log)

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

What can I say, I have a big sweet tooth. Recommendations for delicious dessert sit-down places or good bakeries would be much appreciated. :)

brunetti, an Italian pasticceria, you can sit down and read paper and drink coffee, eat all the cakes and gelati, Always busy, 198 Faraday St., Carlton, although there are 2 others around inner Melbourne, but this one is the big mama of them all, in fact if you spend sometimes in Carlton there are other cake shops there too , there is this one big chocolate place on Lygon Street I can remember the name( someone can help me out here, Shin where are you ? with all your time spent at Readings you might know the place I am talking about :raz: ) . If you can get hold of a copy of Foodies' Guide to Melbourne by Allan Campion & Michele Curtis , it has got all type of food places to visit.

brunetti, an Italian pasticceria, you can sit down and read paper and drink coffee, eat all the cakes and gelati, Always busy, 198 Faraday St., Carlton, although there are 2 others around inner Melbourne, but this one is the big mama of them all, in fact if you spend sometimes in Carlton there are other cake shops there too , there is this one big chocolate place on Lygon Street I can remember the name( someone can help me out here, Shin where are you ? with all your time spent at  Readings you might know the place I am talking about  :raz: ) . 

You're not thinking of that lolly shop are you? I can't remember the name of it, but that's the only place that comes to mind.

Strangely, I've never been inside brunettis. The size of the place is just too big and busy for my liking. I should give it a try though as it is a Carlton institution.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I agree about Brunetti being too busy and all, I can't think of other places that do mainly dessert and have seating. Apart from baking bread most bakeries do have a small range of sweets, Baker D'chirico in Fitzroy Street, St kilda, Babka in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Filou's in Lygon st. and those lovely egg tarts in chinese bakeries, yum.

now about that place on Lygon street, Koko Black Chocolate, 167 Lygon street, Carlton( shin , I think it is quite new, as I only discovered it the otherday, it is on the same side as readings but toward the city end, next to Casa Del Gelato, as I don't head down that end of Lygon very often,so I am not too sure how long the place has been there) , this place is full of chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate, all sort of chocolate at the counter, oh they also do chocolate dessert to order, I suppose one should drinks hot chocolate with the dessert, it is dangerous as I am on my chocolate phase at the moment. I should stay clear of this place.

Koko Black's isn't bad. Seems to be very popular, especially with international students.

Brunetti, although indeed a sit-down place, always seems a bit overrated to me. Too much cornstarch custard for my liking.

And by the way, we still haven't established if the original poster was asking about Melbourne or elsewhere!

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

I don't head down to that end of Lygon Street very often, so it's no wonder that I've never heard of KoKo Black. I'll have to give it a try though.

I've also just remembered that I used to head off to Mario's on Brunswick Street for desserts in the evening. Then there's Pelligrini's for cakes and around the corner, there's the Melbourne Supper Club.

Does anyone remember a place from many moons ago called "Death By Chocolate"? That was wonderful. I think there is still one in Sydney.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"