• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastries made from choux paste

ruthcooks

Did anyone make gougere from this recipe? If so, did you adapt the recipe? Difficult to imagine cheese and mustard with sweetened condensed milk.

It seems the smaller the puffs, the more crisp the result. Larger puffs are not as crisp as small. Some gougere recipes call for spooning dough in a ring. I cook gougere in a jelly roll pan and cut into squares, sometimes, but it usually turns out more soggy than crisp.

One of my favorite "coffee cakes" consists of choux paste spread over pie pastry and finished with icing and almonds.

Sounds like I've got a whole lot of testing--and tasting--to do.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Did anyone make gougere from this recipe?  If so, did you adapt the recipe?  Difficult to imagine cheese and mustard with sweetened condensed milk.

It seems the smaller the puffs, the more crisp the result.  Larger puffs are not as crisp as small.  Some gougere recipes call for spooning dough in a ring.  I cook gougere in a jelly roll pan and cut into squares, sometimes, but it usually turns out more soggy than crisp.

One of my favorite "coffee cakes" consists of choux paste spread over pie pastry and finished with icing and almonds.

Sounds like I've got a whole lot of testing--and tasting--to do.

Ruth -- if you try concocting gougeres from this recipe, please let us know how it turns out. I've been wanting to make up a batch of cheese puffs. My old standby is a roquefort gougere recipe from The New Basics cookbook which I like, but I'm looking to try something new.

Pâte à choux is most famously used in such classic pastries as Croquembouche, Paris-Brest, and Gateau Saint-Honoré. As a savory rendition, it can be used to prepare appetizers, such as Mushroom-Chive Puffs.

Norman Love offers recipes for Savory Puffs (including smoked-salmon mousse) in Baking with Julia (Morrow, 1996); pp. 432-434.

Gougères made with choux paste are sometimes called chouquettes.

When boiled & served with a sauce, the result is known as Gnocchi à la Parisienne. See, eg., Bernard Loiseau, Cuisine en Famille (Albin Michel, 1997); page 54. Also, refer to this version..

Edited by Redsugar (log)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

Pâte à choux is most famously used in such classic pastries as Croquembouche, Paris-Brest, and Gateau Saint-Honoré. As a savory rendition, it can be used to prepare appetizers, such as Mushroom-Chive Puffs.

Norman Love offers recipes for Savory Puffs (including smoked-salmon mousse) in Baking with Julia (Morrow, 1996); pp. 432-434.

Gougères made with choux paste are sometimes called chouquettes.

When boiled & served with a sauce, the result is known as Gnocchi à la Parisienne.  See, eg., Bernard Loiseau, Cuisine en Famille (Albin Michel, 1997); page 54.  Also, refer to this version..

I have never seen savory chouquettes -- In France, all of the chouquettes I have seen are profiterole sized pastries coated with sugar prior to baking and typically sold by weight. The sugar caramelizes and forms a nice crunchy exterior. I have seen them with granulated sugar, sucre grain, and a combination of the two. I prefer to make them with sucre grain and then sprinkle with turbinado; gotta be different you know.

Edited by boulak (log)

• 3 months later...

Ruth, I made your kringle last night, but must have done something very wrong. What I ended up with is a super-flat, brittle (very good-tasting)cookie. It's not over 1/4" high, and the puff never puffed at all. I did the recipe just as written, although normally I would use the Pichet Ong recipe for pate a choux. Is that amount really for a jelly roll pan? It was very difficult to spread so thin. I only did the pate a choux by hand, not with the mixer, just because the instructions didn't say to beat the heck out of it, so probably that was the problem. Any ideas?

Abra,

My "jelly roll pan" is 11 x 15. I've heard some people refer to a half sheet pan as a jelly roll pan, and I think they measure 12 x 17 or so. If you were using the larger size, this would account for the thinness of the layers.*

You do need to beat this with an electric mixer unless you are especially strong. I have always assumed that all choux pastes need to be beaten like crazy. I have a processor version that I use other times but not in this recipe.

Another thing is that the cream puff won't rise if you add too much egg, so egg size is important. The paste should be spreadable but not a bit runny. With large or extra large eggs, add the last egg a tablespoon at a time.

*Actually I call the pans my "little cookie sheet" and my "big cookie sheet" as I had been making cookies for 40 years before I ever heard of a sheet pan. :wink:

Hope you'll try it again!

Edited to say I've revised the recipe accordingly. It's here in RecipeGullet:

Swedish Kringle

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali