• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet and spicy peanuts !

toto2

Our grilled -cheese sanwiches were a moderate hit , but our hot cider is a homerun !

So , Les Ptits Lutins , with the help of Le marché des saveurs du Québec at JTM are bringning back their sweet and spicy peanuts.

We have a lot of fun making them : we bring out the big wok and the gas burner and we got at it. The smell of the caramel forming in the hot pan with the secret spices is amazing ... and they taste great !

But the best thing is that , we make them for the Littles Elves foundation that bring gifts to people living with AIDS in residences all over Canada. You can learn all about us at : www.ptitslutins.org

So come enjoy our peanuts and hot cider for agood cause , every weekend of november , weather permitting , of course !

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)

Thank you for the good words !

My volonteers did not know what to answer when some of you asked for Toto :biggrin:

I had to explain to them what Egullet was ! I have to remember to tell all of them that I posted here about our peanuts since i wont be personnaly there each and every day!

Thank you to the Egulletrs who came to see us ! I wi9sh I had more time to chat , but those peanuts have to be cooked !!!

Hope to see many of you !

Thank you again !

(in french)

So, were you there on Sunday, toto2? I didn't ask but studied the faces of the crew as I bought my bag.

By the way, let's have some honesty in advertising. It's not peanuts. It's peanuts and pecans, and more than just a few of the latter. A little bit sweet (just enough to add a caramel taste), a little bit spicy (salt, cinnamon and cayenne, if I recall correctly). Big bag for $3.50.

After purchasing the nuts, I went to Cuiz-In to buy some wine glasses for a friend. The clerk was having some trouble with the box, so I set my bag of nuts on the counter to give him a hand. When the glasses were packed, I turned to pick up my bag, only to see some old guy reaching in for a second handful. "Tu devrais les essayer," he advised me. "Sont vraiment bons!" The clerk burst out laughing. I set the guy straight and sent him your way.

Edited by carswell (log)

Thank you Carswell !

I love getting rave reviews ! ( I had a good one once in Voir by Robert Beauchein when I was the owner of a small café on De la Roche Street , "L'Entre-deux".

Yes , I was there on sunday , but I might have been inside at Marché des Saveurs when you came. If there was two guys there , I was one of them. The one with the goatee.

You have the recipe right , but I wont say in what proportion ! :raz: But depending on how the cayenne distribute in the sugar , they can get quite spicy ! ( that is why I often eat the peanuts/pecanes with a good beer from MdS !

Thank you again for your visit , and if you feel like it , make yourself know ! I just hope I will have time to chat !

(in french)

toto2,

I wish your sweet and spicy peanuts were available on the west coast, they sound delicious!  :wub:

I might cheatand send you the recipe ! Or I might not... :hmmm:

I might loose my Montreal co :raz: stumers if I say too much !

(in french)

toto2,

I wish your sweet and spicy peanuts were available on the west coast, they sound delicious!   :wub:

I might cheatand send you the recipe ! Or I might not... :hmmm:

I might loose my Montreal co :raz: stumers if I say too much !

Now, you're just teasing me :raz:

2004-Arachides.jpg

Great site by the way, great looking bunch of folks you are too! Love the Christmas gear, wouldn't want you to lose the costumers! :biggrin:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Thank you !

We do send a lot of gifts to the west cost , in Vancouver at Doctor Peter's House.

Thank you for posting the picture !

Oh my goodness, you guys are really great, and wasn't he a remarkable person!

Perhaps a bag of nuts might find their way into a goodie bag for the wet coast. :wink: (jk)

Keep up the wonderful work! :wub:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to push too much , but only two weekend left to tey our sweet and spicy peanuts ( all for a good cause !)

Come see us in front of Marché des Saveurs at Marché Jean-Talon ! I can say thast we are a success. Customers from last year are back saying how much they missed them , and I had to buy a second wok to keep up with the demand !

I obviously would not push a personnal product like that here , but , since it is for a good cause , I hope you wont mind me occupying this space !

Thank You again !

(in french)

Toto2 it was great meeting you last Saturday & since you specifically asked me to post back, I'm happy to give you my comments.

If people have not yet visited Toto2's kiosk at JTM, you are missing out. The pecans & peanuts were great, not overly sugary & a touch of a bite kicked in about 10-15 seconds after you pop those beauties into your mouth. My only complaint was the fear of cracking a tooth on some of the larger clusters of nuts/candy. :biggrin: Happy to report all 28 are still intact.

Toto2 if I see you this weekend, I will ask you for the recipe! Keep up the great work.

This might become a new MJT tradition !

I hope so. I'm just sorry I missed out on your grilled cheese sandwiches.

But back to the nuts. How well do they keep? If I buy a bag for a friend, will the nuts be as delicious a day or two later when I finally see him or her? And if we reheat them in the oven or microwave, will they regain or at least approximate their fresh-from-the-wok scumptiousness?

We did make some tests last year , and they will keep for two weeks , if you keep them dry. So I would suggest that you put them in a tupperware type container instead of keeping them in the paper bag. I had a custumer last year that bought a tyriple bag to bring to Québec city everyweek and told me that he had no problem !

The best way to reheat them is to put in a non-stick skillet , on low heat and just reheat while shakking the pan at the same time. I did not try the micro-wave , so I could not say. Just dont reheat to much , since the sugar is just on the border of being burn , meaning already very caramelized already !

Marché des saveurs will have the sweet and spicy peanuts/pecanes until Chrismas. I will go weekly to cook them in their kitchen.

The grilled-cheese were very good , but for me , not as fun to make. ( and for the foundation , not as " rentable". We sell peanuts all day , where as the peanuts sell all the time. And you have the show factor with peanuts: the wok , the smell etc.

Thank you all again for your support !

(in french)

• 2 weeks later...

Late-breaking news! Don't recall whether I heard it on the BBC or read it on the front page of the Globe and Mail, but reports are circulating that the sweet-and-spicy nut folks didn't fold up this Sunday but will be back next weekend for their clusters' last stand. A good thing, too, judging by the crowd gathered around the operation yesterday afternoon. Don't miss this chance to savour the smells and chat with the crew while buying a bag of nuts hot from the wok, enjoying them al fresco and supporting a good cause.

Edited by carswell (log)

We are very pleasd with the recepies for the grilled cheese but...

for the purpouse of making money for the foudation , they were not a very good thing: not enough profit for the effort. But we are very exited about them and are trying to do something next year , earlier in the season. The fast food offering is stagerring right now at MJT , with the new extension. so we have to find a way to make it work.

I want to pass this invitation to all of you: on thursday december 1rst , at the mezzanine of JMT , Les Ptits Lutins will have their annual wine and cheese , from 6 to 8. Marché des saveurs will offer the cheeses and hors d'oeuvres, Domaine Pinnacle is offerring iced wine , and the foundationis offering the wine ( the foundation is not rich , so the wine will be OK , but dont expext to make a discovery! :biggrin: ) This event is free , and we will not be asking for money ( but peanuts , t-shirts etc. will be sold).There will be live music. It is just an event for World AIDS day where you will be able to hear about the foundation and it's impact on peoples lifes.

So you will all be welcome , but if possible , make us know you are comming by e-mailling at this address before noon on thurday :

info@ptitslutins.org

So thank again everybody for the kind words about he peanuts and your suppost !

(in french)

That it !

Our peanut season is over for this year ! I can tell you that last saturday was so cold , I felt like a peanut popsicle !

I will still be preparing the peanuts/pacanes for Marché des Saveurs ( they dont take a cut on them , so all the money is still going to the foundation!), but inside . They will be fresh , since I plan on making them twice a week

Thank you to all thre gulleters who showed up. It was nice chatting a bit with all of you.

If you feel like helping us wrapping our 2000 gifts next weekend ( dec. 10th and 11th) , you are welcome ! We will be doing that at Brebeuf college ! Make me know through. :

www.ptitslutins.org !

Thank you againg , and see you next year for this new Marché Jean-Talon tradition !

(in french)