• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Rebel Rose

Looking for Exotic Mushrooms

My MIL would like to know where to find these "lobster claw" mushrooms in the Santa Cruz/Aptos area.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Seems a bit obvious; but, have you tried giving Far West Fungi of Moss Landing a call?

They are at quite a few Bay Area farmers' markets and often have interesting mushrooms I've never seen before.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Thanks!  Not so obvious to us . . .

No problem! Sorry, they have a store in the Ferry Building and stalls at at least 3 Farmers' Markets in SF, so they're obvious to me.

Really great mushrooms, good prices and nice people. Highly recommended.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Does anyone have any suggestions for Los Angeles area mushroom purveyors? I don't make it down there as much now that our central coast distributor is handling sales, but my distributor and a tasting room employee are interested in finding good stores or markets where the more unusual mushrooms can be found, and they can stop by while in the LA area. A store would be better . . . any suggestions?

We love mushrooms, but are getting tired of white buttons and portobellas. :rolleyes:

Man, those lobster claws are strong! I sliced and sauteed both mushrooms in olive oil and butter. Next time, I will only serve only one lightly sauteed slice with each plate. I couldn't wash the taste out of my mouth for two days! :wacko:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Sign in to follow this