• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster Fra Diavolo

MattyB

Hey there, although I've been reading the forum for ages this is my first post. It's my moms 50th bday in a couple weeks and she is in LOVE with Lobster Fra Diavolo. We used to eat it when I was a kid at Bellini's restaurant and recently at Aldo restaurant on Mountain. Well, that place is closed now and I NEED to surprise her with Lobster Fra Diavolo dish! Can anyone reccomend a restaurant?

Thanks!

MattyB, welcome to eGullet!

I am sure that you will be able to find someplace in Montreal for this, but if you can't and want to drive a couple of hours south, Brunetto's in Warrensburgh, N.Y. makes a great seafood fra diavolo with lobster and other shellfish. It does need to be ordered in advance and can feed a small army.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

dont know how different the lobster and linguini dish at joe beef is from what you want

lobster fra diavolo has a many of variations but the basic one is linguini in clam sauce with lobsters like they serve in rome

call joe beef and ask if they will do it for you

Not true. It's just that it's a dish I don't recall ever seeing on a Montreal menu. One suggestion if no one comes through: try contacting one of the better Italian eateries and arranging for them to prepare it to order on the evening of your celebration.

A word to the wise. If you arrange for a chef to cook it for you, provide him with a description of the dish as served at Bellini's or Aldo. Otherwise, you may be disappointed to find his take on Fra Diavolo is different from yours.