• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Standard Tap

Jeff L

I love this place for a few reasons, namely the great food, stellar jukebox cd selection and lively neighborhood pub vibe.

But since this forum is all about the food, I'll stick to that. My friend and I went last night before catching Graham Parker at the Tin Angel. We ordered a small order of mussels to share. It was plenty enough for a starter to share, I can't imagine what the large order looks like. The mussels came in a really great garlicky-tomatoey broth that was laced with some type of smoked sausage or andouilly. Perfectly paired with the garlicky mussels. My only complaint was they didn't bring enough bread to mop up the wonderful broth.

My friend ordered a cheeseburger and fries, pretty pedestrian until you take a bit of it. I've had them before and can say it's one of the best burgers I ever had anywhere. I ordered the pork sandwich and was amazed at how good it was, might be something to do with the Country Time Farm pork products they use.

BTW, fries were really great too. It's really hard to remain consistant at 7:30 on a Friday night. The place was packed and the kitchen kept turning out food a really good pace.

I'd be curious to hear others comments about this place.

I agree completely, I love the food here, from all of the things you mentioned, right on up through the fancier dinner entrees. The bohemian vibe and somewhat chaotic seating scheme make it hard to recommend in all circumstances, but for a casual meal with great beer (and a decent selection of wine by the glass too) it's hard to beat.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Standard Tap has great bar grub. So did Dark Horse and Black Sheep under Ben McNamara's tenure as Capaneus noted. He's back at the New Wave Cafe so their food just took a decided upswing back to the good old days when they had great bar food. London Grill and White Dog also have excellent bar menus.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Standard Tap has great bar grub.  So did Dark Horse and Black Sheep under Ben McNamara's tenure as Capaneus noted.  He's back at the New Wave Cafe so their food just took a decided upswing back to the good old days when they had great bar food.  London Grill and White Dog also have excellent bar menus.

White dog does indeed have great bar food and regular fare is quite good too more often than not. I'd forgotten about that place.

Yes, its the best Bar Food in town. It's also the best food in town for that price.

We are there at least once a week-since we live blocks from there.

Talking to the owners, they are totally into local produce and meats. Paul (one of the owners), likes to experiment with different cuts of meat as well.

Whether you're in the mood for a sandwich, (try the Salmon sandwich, which is a thick portion of regular, not smoked-salmon), or an incredible homemade chicken liver mousse, or a great Bouillabaise, or Lamb Steak, whatever they have is great bistro food. Better than a lot of bistros in Paris! No, really!

The brunch is amazing. They used to have this "Pork Plate". Haven't seen it recently. It was a soft boiled egg in an egg cup in the middle. Surrounded by: A slice of thick ham, a round piece of sausage, two pieces of really thick bacon. Decadent. I love their Hollandaise on the Eggs Benedict. The bisquits and sausage....yum... Even their fruit platter looks amazing.

You're right, Philadining. I can't take my mother there. Seating is wherever you can find it. But we love the place.

Bottle of wine for $24.

Philly Francophiles

Yes, its the best Bar Food in town. It's also the best food in town for that price.

We are there at least once a week-since we live blocks from there.

Talking to the owners, they are totally into local produce and meats. Paul (one of the owners), likes to experiment with different cuts of meat as well.

Whether you're in the mood for a sandwich, (try the Salmon sandwich, which is a thick portion of regular, not smoked-salmon),  or an incredible homemade chicken liver mousse, or a great Bouillabaise, or Lamb Steak, whatever they have is great bistro food. Better than a lot of bistros in Paris! No, really!

The brunch is amazing. They used to have this "Pork Plate". Haven't seen it recently. It was a soft boiled egg in an egg cup in the middle. Surrounded by: A slice of thick ham, a round piece of sausage, two pieces of really thick bacon. Decadent. I love their Hollandaise on the Eggs Benedict. The bisquits and sausage....yum... Even their fruit platter looks amazing.

You're right, Philadining. I can't take my mother there. Seating is wherever you can find it. But we love the place.

Bottle of wine for $24.

Must agree with your comment about Standard Tap being better than bistros in Paris. Having just gotten back (thanks again to you and Sam for the kind tips) from 9 days in Paris and Provence, I must say that bistro food is not what it was when I last visited a few years back. We found that if you really want to dine well and have a great meal, you must pay considerably more in Paris. Provence was another story altogether with both my wife and I enjoying the food there better than Paris.

Anyway, I agree with you about Standard Tap, I have never been even a little bit dissapointed here and the price is right for sure!

It's good.  I eat there.  The Chicken Pot pie is great.

In that area of town, I like Abbaye's food the best, followed by the Tap, followed by N 3rd.

Based on multiple eating visits to the Abbaye and to the Standard Tap, the Abbaye couldn't hold the Tap's jock.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I really liked the vibe at Abbaye, and appreciate the beer selection. I was even kind of charmed by the large dog who came over and sat inches away from me throughout my entire meal, begging for a sample of my food, although it might have been nice if someone, either the dog's owner or maybe a staff person, had asked me if I minded...

But that one time I decided to eat there, food was only OK: good ideas, careless execution. It's not really fair to dismiss them after one experience, but I've had consistently excellent food at the Tap and at North Third, so it's hard to pass those up to take a chance on a place I didn't love.

Stephen, you're the first person I've heard that really liked the food, that might be enough incentive to try it again...

philadining.com

I too give the overall food edge to the kitchen at Standard Tap -- as far as Northern Liberties goes. I do, however, frequent Abbaye for its more laid-back vibe, easier seating and slightly more diverse beer selection relative to the Tap.

For a close second on burgers, an easy tie on mussels and perhaps the edge on frites, let's not forget about Monk's. It's an entirely different part of town and the evening wait for a talbe is hellacious but the beer list -- as long as you like Belgian ales -- is unsurpassed.

I too give the overall food edge to the kitchen at Standard Tap -- as far as Northern Liberties goes.  I do, however, frequent Abbaye for its more laid-back vibe, easier seating and slightly more diverse beer selection relative to the Tap.

For a close second on burgers, an easy tie on mussels and perhaps the edge on frites, let's not forget about Monk's.  It's an entirely different part of town and the evening wait for a talbe is hellacious but the beer list -- as long as you like Belgian ales -- is unsurpassed.

I couldn't agree with you more about Monk's Cafe. Definite edge with their frites, best I've had since spending time in Brusells. Their beer list is well, stella!

I actually still prefer the burger at the Tap but hands down mussels reign at Monk's.

I too give the overall food edge to the kitchen at Standard Tap -- as far as Northern Liberties goes.  I do, however, frequent Abbaye for its more laid-back vibe, easier seating and slightly more diverse beer selection relative to the Tap.

For a close second on burgers, an easy tie on mussels and perhaps the edge on frites, let's not forget about Monk's.  It's an entirely different part of town and the evening wait for a talbe is hellacious but the beer list -- as long as you like Belgian ales -- is unsurpassed.

Standard Tap's beer menu is far more diverse and wider ranging than the Abbaye's, by a country mile.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

Standard Tap's  beer menu is far more diverse and wider ranging than the Abbaye's, by a country mile.

Not really.

Their beer lists are around the same size. Tap has more locals, Abbaye has more imports.

Tap thankfully serves on ly local tap beer. 12 taps by my last count.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Food Writer At Large

The food at the Black Door, just south of South St. on 2nd, is very good as well. Their fries are a little inconsistent: always good, but the first time and one subsequent time I had them, they blew Monk's away. The other times, not so much. They make a really good lamb burger, and when the menu says it has caramelized onions on it, that's what they mean. Last time I had a burger at Monk's it was the style with 'caramelized' leeks (maybe onions, it was a while ago), and they were just barely fried.

Their beer list is pretty big, maybe 70-80 bottles. Not the equal of Monk's, of course, and they only have 6 taps, but everything on draft is good and I haven't had a bottle yet that I haven't liked.

I was never a fan of the Tap's food (or their service), it seemed overpriced to me, and never really great. I remember getting a cheese plate in the neighborhood of $15 which was 25% cheese, 25% fruit, and 50% bread, and the cheeses were nothing special. Of course, I haven't been there in at least a year for this reason, maybe it's improved now.

Abbaye really is all about the great vibe. Food is inconsistant -- sometimes great, sometimes just eh.

Last couple of times I ate at Monk's were...fine, but not excellent. Lazy in the execution -- a couple of sandy mussels here, an order of lukewarm fries there. I can't trust them the way I used to.

I always liked Standard Tap, but I'm all in love with N. 3rd after recent visits. Friendlier scene, very consistantly awesome food, better service. They win my best bar food in Philly medal.

Abbaye really is all about the great vibe. Food is inconsistant -- sometimes great, sometimes just eh.

Last couple of times I ate at Monk's were...fine, but not excellent. Lazy in the execution -- a couple of sandy mussels here, an order of lukewarm fries there. I can't trust them the way I used to.

I always liked Standard Tap, but I'm all in love with N. 3rd after recent visits. Friendlier scene, very consistantly awesome food, better service. They win my best bar food in Philly medal.

What specifically do you like about N 3rd? I walked in one day and left after not being acknowledged at the bar for about 10 minutes. There weren't too many other patrons at the bar and it just really soured me to the place. It's been a while and I might be tempted to try it again if your food reviws are tempting.

What specifically do you like about N 3rd?

I've generally had good service and good food here, but things can get a little slack in off-hours sometimes. I usually order something off the blackboard, but the menu has some good stuff too. I just had an excellent basic homey roast chicken with mashed potatoes.. There's always good beer, and decent, very affordable wine by the glass or bottle.

And most importantly, according to Sono Motoyama,Stephane likes it.

philadining.com

Hi All

My husband is going to be in Philly next week on businees. One of the guys he is travelling with is getting married the next weekend. They want to take out on the last night for a kind of bachelor party I guess. They just really want to take him out to have some beers and good food. Something casual, not too rowdy and not a sit down dinner as such. From what I've read this place sounds perfect. What are your thoughts? Also, where is it located?

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

Hi All

My husband is going to be in Philly next week on businees.  One of the guys he is travelling with is getting married the next weekend.  They want to take out on the last night for a kind of bachelor party I guess.  They just really want to take him out to have some beers and good food.  Something casual, not too rowdy and not a sit down dinner as such.  From what I've read this place sounds perfect.  What are your thoughts?  Also, where is it located?

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

Be warned that the Standard Tap doesn't take reservations and no one at the bar will help seat you, so you're basically reduced to hovering over the other patrons, waiting for stools or tables to open up. That can be a problem on weekend nights with a group of more than 2 or 3 people, especially since the place is two floors.

I'd recommend the Royal Tavern, but I've been told their chef departed recently and that the new one isn't up to snuff. Ten Stone (21st and South) is a really good place. The Latest Dish (4th street just south of South St.) has good food and good beers on tap, and you can sit at the bar or call ahead for a table, and it's just off South St., so there are plenty of other great places nearby for after dinner.

Hi All

My husband is going to be in Philly next week on businees.  One of the guys he is travelling with is getting married the next weekend.  They want to take out on the last night for a kind of bachelor party I guess.  They just really want to take him out to have some beers and good food.  Something casual, not too rowdy and not a sit down dinner as such.  From what I've read this place sounds perfect.  What are your thoughts?  Also, where is it located?

Thanks in advance.

Jenny

What Buckethead said is true, but if your husband is somewhat patient, have him go to the Tap (at 3rd and Poplar in Northern Liberties) and head straight upstairs where it is easier to get a table. Otherwise it is a little like a free-for-all there on weekends. It is worth the hassle to get a feel for the place and eat what I (and others on this thread) feel is the best bar food in town.

I'll agree with Jeff L, except that The Standard Tap is on Second street!

Of course, if the crowd is just too much there, he can indeed retreat up a block west to 3rd and Brown, to the place called North Third and still get good local beer and well-made food. It's not much more organized there, but I've generally been able to find a table if we got squeezed out at Standard Tap.

philadining.com