• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

red-wine caipirinha

yvonne johnson

I was taken with the picture of the red-wine caipirinha in Sunday's NYTimes (Styles section-why I bother, I don't know).  Theo is serving this drink which was created by one of their bar staff recently.

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1/2 lime, cut into wedges

3 ounces red wine, Rioja was suggested, but I used Bordeaux.

I paraphrase the short instructions:

Take highball glass and mix the sugar and lime

Fill glass with ice

Add wine, stir

Taste, then throw away.

Sometimes, it's best not to ask too deep questions of the Times.

As Miss J says, it seems to be "a super-simple sangria". However, as consort noted, it is more concenrated than sangria and therefore less refreshing as well as being pretty foul tasting.

I don't get the name either. The article says, "The recipe simply substitutes red wine...for cachasca, the Brazilian spirit distilled from the juice of sugar cane".....and the drink "suggests the...caipirinha".  By this logic, I can make a red-wine gin and tonic, by simply substituting red wine for the gin.

I think I'll have a red wine beer tonight by simply substituting red wine for beer.  I'll be sure to toast the NYT for this cunning revelation in replacement therapy.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway