• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Half bottles by the case

jsolomon

Hi folks, I just found out some interesting news. I'm getting activated to go overseas with my military reserve unit.

Here's the deal. My fiance and I enjoy wine quite a lot, but our local wine shop essentially only sells regular-sized bottles which is fine for two to enjoy in an evening, but a tough task for one to do regularly.

I am looking for two things: half bottles of wine by the case, and quality. If I'm going to surprise her with a couple of cases to enjoy while I am gone, I want to make sure she can order more, and that they are wines she'll enjoy. Do you know of anyone who can help supply me with these in Nebraska? Those who can distribute to Nebraska are also fair game.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I'm not familiar with retailers in Nebraska. Sorry.

As far as shipments to Nebraska from other states, that's a crap shoot. Nebraska will allow residents to receive up to 9 liters (2 cases of half-bottles) per month for personal use. BUT the winery (I would also assume out of state retailer, but that's not entirely clear) must purchase a direct shipping license from the state of Nebraska ($500) AND must pay to the state of Nebraska an excise tax of 95 cents for every liter shipped AND must pay between 6 and 7 percent sales tax depending on the city or county to where the wine is shipped AND must report the following information to Nebraska every year: volume of product shipped, alcohol by volume of product(s) shipped, number of bottles shipped, AND they have to report even if they didn't ship anything as long as they are holding a permit to do so.

Maybe there are places that find it worthwhile to go through all that to ship to residents of Nebraska, but you would have to ask them firsthand.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Good news! I'm likely not being activated! (Of course, I had to sell my soul for it, but that's another topic)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.