• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carmine's Creole Cafe in Narberth

Rich Pawlak

I would be remiss if I didnt post a note here with huge kudos to

Charlie Mayer (for hosting and orghanizing) and John Mims and his staff

(for an absolutely fabulous meal) for one of the best DDC dinners in a

long time. We're lucky, and almost every one of our gatherings have

been over the top fantastic, but this dinner was truly superb, start to

finish, with chickory coffee to boot! And great cameraderie with a

lovely bunch of fellow diners.

Truly, a kickass meal, Charlie.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

4_9_17v.gif

I'm SO bummed I missed this. I'd have been there if there were any way for it to happen. Restaurant is opening on Friday and I just spent another 13 hour day helping set it up. My life will be my own again soon...

Sooooo...tell us about dinner! Whadja have??? Who took pictures?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

First, I'll join in the thanks to Charlie for getting this together, it was a great dinner and a really fun evening. And thanks to Chef Mims for some excellent food.

I was so frazzled from the rain-slowed drive that I forgot to take a picture of perhaps the post impressive-looking item all night: an amuse-bouche of a HUGE raw oyster topped with bright red roe and a drizzle of sauce. Go ahead, imagine it...

Duck and Andouille Gumbo (my fave...)

gallery_23992_1906_6592.jpg

Blackened Skate and Fried Oysters in Browned Butter

gallery_23992_1906_18873.jpg

Braised Beef Short Ribs w/ Crawfish Smoked Gouda Grits

gallery_23992_1906_22239.jpg

Sticky Bun Bread Pudding

gallery_23992_1906_23702.jpg

(it was in-focus in real life....)

The gumbo was really excellent, deep flavored and spacy, with a good amount of duck meat and sausage. I'd go back just for that. My skate wasn't "blackened" in any sense that I've encountered at Cajun places, yet it was a touch overcooked, but hey, he's trying to get 35 of them off the line at the same time! The crunchy fried oyster was fabulous. The shortribs were rich and tender, and the very creamy grits hid little nuggets of crawfish. And the sticky bun bread pudding wasn't as sweet as it sounds, just right with a cup of chicory-tinged coffee.

Really enjoyable meal, and cool to meet some more eGulleteers in the flesh, and plenty of other fine folks as well. Thanks again Charlie!

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I have not yet been to the new locale, but went to their original site often.  Do they still serve the crab claw appetizer?  This is my favorite appy anywhere!

It looks like they do: Carmine's Dinner Menu

John Mims is awesome. I adored that short rib (although I don't think it's on the regular menu) and the sticky bun bread pudding (which, thankfully, IS on the menu). And it was nice to finally meet some eGullet faces!

Thanks for coming, everyone. I'm pleased that others enjoyed the meal as much as I did.

It was great that John and the staff were into the DDC.

From the former department - My favorite at the old location was the foie gras and onions app. That's not on the menu anymore.

From the future department - One of our servers told me that they planned to offer a tasiting menu as a dining option in the future.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Beautiful pictures. Sad I couldn't make it to taste everything. I'm drooling at the thought of the amuse. Mmmmmmmmmmm... oyster....

Keep an eye on the DDC mailing list for details on the upcoming event I'm putting together out in the country on Nov 1.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I also had a great time and was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers - 39 people!  Wow.

It was nice to meet some new people, gulleteers and then some. 

Evan

39 is about an average turnout; we sometimes hit the 70s in attendance.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I was so frazzled from the rain-slowed drive that I forgot to take a picture of perhaps the post impressive-looking item all night: an amuse-bouche of a HUGE raw oyster topped with bright red roe and a drizzle of sauce. Go ahead, imagine it...

Shoulda taken the R5 with me! The walk was a wee bit wet, but otherwise, no traffic.

The dinner was great fun and it was nice to meet new people. I'm glad Rich finally figured out who I was, since we always seem to sit near each other at these events. :)

The bread pudding coupled with Rich's Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale was a near sexual experience.

Thanks Charlie!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce