• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

typo

Once when my husband and I were in Paris, we'd spent the day shopping and were exhausted by mid-afternoon, so sat down at an outside table to enjoy some wine and olives. A group of ugly Americans (3 couples who apparently were doctors and their wives in Paris for a medical event of some sort) were seated at the table next to us. They ordered pizza and proceeded to sit there complaining about everything they'd experienced so far in Paris. We'd been speaking French with the server, so continued to speak French and apparently they thought we were French because they also began making remarks about the French people sitting around all day drinking wine instead of working. When their pizzas arrived they were horrified to find that they were nothing at all like the pizza back home. We were dying laughing the entire time. And of course we made sure to speak English loudly as we were leaving so they'd realize that we heard and understood every word they said about us.

Once when my husband and I were in Paris, we'd spent the day shopping and were exhausted by mid-afternoon, so sat down at an outside table to enjoy some wine and olives. A group of ugly Americans (3 couples who apparently were doctors and their wines in Paris for a medical event of some sort) were seated at the table next to us. They ordered pizza and proceeded to sit there complaining about everything they'd experienced so far in Paris. We'd been speaking French with the server, so continued to speak French and apparently they thought we were French because they also began making remarks about the French people sitting around all day drinking wine instead of working. When their pizzas arrived they were horrified to find that they were nothing at all like the pizza back home. We were dying laughing the entire time. And of course we made sure to speak English loudly as we were leaving so they'd realize that we heard and understood every word they said about us.