• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Snohomish County, WA

On another thread describing a restaurant in Mill Creek, Ed suggested starting a thread on places to eat in Snohomish County, Washington.

Here are some of the favorite places of my wife and I:

Fine dining

Zinnia in Mill Creek

Bistro San Martin in Arlington

Charles at Smugglers Cove in Mukilteo

Lowell-Hunt wine cafe in Woodinville

Barking Frog in Woodinville

Herbfarm in Woodinville

Casual dining

Fred's Rivertown Alehouse in Snohomish

Usmania in Mill Creek

Lombardi's in Everett

The Flying Pig in Everett

Stella Mia's in Bothell

Canyon's in Bothell

McMenamin's in Mill Creek

Olives in Edmonds

Emory's Lake House on Silver Lake

AJ's Wok in Mill Creek

Wasabi Bay in Mill Creek

Bogie's on Silver Lake

La Palmera in Mill Creek

Cinnamon's in Lynnwood

Marco Polo in Mukilteo

Purple Cafe in Woodinville

We have eaten at many more places, but again, this is a list of some of our favorites. If you have a place to recommend in Snohomish County, or just over the county line, like my Woodinville suggestions, please post to this thread. Ideally, we can get a nice list going for those of us who feel left out of the Seattle-centric threads!

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Succumbing to my pedantic tendencies, I have to point out that Woodinville is in King County.

I like Maxwell's in Marysville for burgers, greasy breakfasts and such....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

A few minor additions:

Oobas, in Woodinville. This is a favorite of ours. There's also a little Italian place in the same strip mall; I don't remember the name. We ate there once recently, and enjoyed it.

Fireside Cellars, at Willows Lodge. This is a recently opened wine/tapas bar, apparently operated by Barking Frog. Has anyone been there yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I love Stella Mia in Bothell but by far and away the place to go to is further north.

Nana Carmella's in Monroe is terrific. I haven't been in a few months but it is one of my favorites in all of the Seattle area. The chef owner is from Staten Island so this is Italian with a New York edge.

Here's a recent review that will give you an idea of what they are all about

http://www.northsounddining.com/index.cfm?...view&reviewid=6

There is also a terrific Italian place in Lake Stevens in a little strip mall off route 9 that is great too. I can't remember the name of it though. I'll try to track it down.

While we are on the topic of Italian, Capri, near Mill Creek on 164th, about six blocks east of the freeway is only so-so. For just about the same amount of money, one can go to Lombardi's or Stella Mia and get much better Italian food, in my opinion.

But one block east of Capri, in a strip mall, is a great Thai restaurant, which does have a name, I think it might be Five Star, but the illuminated sign on the building just says Thai Cuisine. A very nice breadth to the menu, and they do some nice riffs on some of the Thai classics. And very reasonably priced, as well.

Going back to Italian, Mamma Mia's in Everett is on Evergreen Way in the 4600 block, in the same strip mall as Display Costume and Supply and QFC. They have a great wine list and do a pretty good job on the food. However, in recent months, they seem to be de-emphasizing the food service to concentrate more on the bar and the kareoke (!). The last time we were in there, the music was so loud, that we ate quickly and beat a hasty retreat.

PS: Edited to add the name of the cities, since not everyone reading this thread will automatically recognize the location of the street names!

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Villa Cosenza in Bothell is now just Villa. The food and concept has changed. The owner gave the place to his young kid and he has made it a bit more hip and oustered Gianfranco Bafaro r maybe he left on his own. One of the states great venues which sadly never amounted to much since its heyday. I have heard pretty good things but maybe soon it will disappear forever. Meditteranean cuisine. In Snohomish I like Teddy Bear BBQ, Sailfish I used to love Bush House which is rumored to be renovating and reopening.

I had forgotten to add that Chanterelle's, at Third and Main in downtown Edmonds, just a few blocks from the ferry dock, does some pretty good breakfasts. I have eaten dinner there a couple of times with mixed results.

For good breakfasts, three other places close to me come immediately to mind:

Bogie's on Silver Lake. They also have a restaurant in downtown Everett on 41st Avenue at Hoyt.

Crystal Creek Cafe in Bothell, at the intersection of 527 and 405, next to the Bonefish Grill and Outback Steakhouse.

Sawmill Cafe in Mill Creek Town Center. This just opened yesterday, according to the paper, and it is a sister restaurant to Crystal Creek. I assume this means they have the same menu.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: Marco Polo (which I liked for lunch) was replaced by The Tin Fish this spring. It's a seafood centric place with plenty of options for non-seafood eaters. A casual, cheaper place than Arnie's and Ivar's. Been a couple times. First time good (house special fish taco), 2nd time, so-so.

I've been to the Italian place in Lake Stevens, but alas! I, too, can't remember the name. Is it Lucca's?

Some of my other favorite lunch places: Sushi Zen, Wasabi Bay (Mill Creek), Lana Thai (Everett), and, lately, a pho place (sorry! again lacking a name!) in S. Everett, just north of 4th on Evergreen, where I've have the likes of spicy crab paste pho, bbq duck pho, and chicken stew pho!

I was astonished at the news that Marco Polo is no longer in Mukilteo. I haven't driven that far down the speedway for a while. Did they move, or are they gone entirely? Does the Marco Polo restaurant in Lynnwood, at 175th and Highway 99, still do business? I liked Marco Polo inasmuch as it was one of the first restaurants in the area to serve food from the Indian subcontinent. There are certainly others now, but they were one of the first.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Cafe on the Terrace (in Mountlake Terrace) is great for breakfast or brunch. If you go, the signature dish is definitely the Stuffed French Toast (filled with crème fraiche and fruit). Omelettes and frittatas are also good, with lots of variety and fresh ingredients. If you opt for a salad, try the roasted red pepper dressing.

Yes, the decor is fusty, but the food is good. They're open for breakfast and lunch, Wednesday through Saturday. Sunday for brunch only. There's also the occasional theme dinner.

(Full disclosure: I worked there a long, long time ago....)

Well, it isn't a restaurant anymore, but I always admired Armadillo Barbeque in Woodinville for their willingness to be kooky with their menu and decor, and for some smokey barbeque. It's now a full time catering operation and they do the same dishes as they used to for lunch and dinner. Their website makes the whole deal sound pretty slick and impressive. There are so many kinds of barbeque that it's hard to please everyone, but I thought their stuff was pretty powerful.

Two former menu favorites: 'Weasel on a Stick - $87.50', and the 'Snake Plate - three bucks worth o' stuff - $4.50'.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Oh, also, the Conway Tavern, which is 'just over the county line' to the north, has always been pretty good. Good selection of beers, good pub food with a few surprises, and what seems like a rough and tumble 'country' atmosphere. In reality, the cowboys are local vegetable farmers and those Harleys out front are most likely parked in Queen Anne garages most of the time. Nice people in my experience.

I think I need to take some of these suggestions and stop in Snohomish County instead of shooting up I-5. Good topic.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

• 1 month later...
I was astonished at the news that Marco Polo is no longer in Mukilteo.  I haven't driven that far down the speedway for a while.  Did they move, or are they gone entirely?  Does the Marco Polo restaurant in Lynnwood, at 175th and Highway 99, still do business?  I liked Marco Polo inasmuch as it was one of the first restaurants in the area to serve food from the Indian subcontinent.  There are certainly others now, but they were one of the first.

The web site says they sold the Lynnwood place but they are active in Everett.

• 2 months later...

Of note, Zinnia in Mill Creek was reviewed on 2/17/06 in both the Everett Herald and the Seattle Times. They have been just slammed since the reviews were published.

And much to my chagrin, the Lowell-Hunt wine cafe is no more at the Hollywood Schoolhouse complex in Woodinville. They have moved over to the Barn on Monte Villa Parkway in Bothell (next to the Northshore School District headquarters) and have been renamed as 'Russell's'. When I drove by there last week, they were not yet open, and were hoping to be open by the end of this month. I will be interested to see how the menu/food/concept has changed. We really liked Lowell-Hunt.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

• 1 month later...
Nana Carmella's in Monroe is terrific.  I haven't been in a few months but it is one of my favorites in all of the Seattle area.  The chef owner is from Staten Island so this is Italian with a New York edge.

This is my favorite restaurant on the East side. Make reservations for the Chef's Table, and expect to take home a lot of leftovers. The food is superb, and the the portions are heroic...

--Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave, I note you are from Duvall. I often like to ride my road bike in the Duvall-Carnation area. Are there any good places to eat in Duvall? I have already done the medieval thing at Camlann.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Hey Dave, I note you are from Duvall.  I often like to ride my road bike in the Duvall-Carnation area.  Are there any good places to eat in Duvall?  I have already done the medieval thing at Camlann.

Are you looking for something to eat while in the area, or destination food?

--Dave

Are you looking for something to eat while in the area, or destination food?

--Dave

Oh, I can go for either. Duvall is only about 20 minutes or so from home by car, so I am more than willing to go there for something good!

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Depending on your mood and needs:

Jasper's BBQ: BBQ (what a surprise)

P&G Speakeasy Cafe: Desserts, soups, quiches, plus Saturday night full dinner specials. If you like Irish or Scottish music, come out on a Tuesday night...

Zanzias (sp?): New restaurant, with a Mediterannean menu, but all I've had was the Falafel (which was quite nice)

There will be a new restaurant opening up where Gardens & Sunspaces is, focusing (as I understand it) on a Northwest/Organic theme.

--Dave

• 2 weeks later...

And much to my chagrin, the Lowell-Hunt wine cafe is no more at the Hollywood Schoolhouse complex in Woodinville.  They have moved over to the Barn on Monte Villa Parkway in Bothell (next to the Northshore School District headquarters) and have been renamed as 'Russell's'.  When I drove by there last week, they were not yet open, and were hoping to be open by the end of this month.  I will be interested to see how the menu/food/concept has changed.  We really liked Lowell-Hunt.

Open for business - check for dinner days/hours. The space seats 250, so not exactly a cafe. It is just Russell Lowell - J Hunt is doing something else. I had a great time, but they have kinks to work out. The food shows a caterer's hand.